none
How can I configure Mirroring in the same server? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all of you,

Primary platform is SQL Server 2012 Enterprise trial mode 180 days. Windows 7 OS non domain machine.

I run three instances.

My goal is setup mirroring using my three instances (principal, witness and mirror).

1-Full backup, Backup Tran Log and restore with NO RECOVERY on target as well as logs

2-I've opened my firewall both INBOUND and OUTBOUND for desired ports:

Due to is the same physical machine I've opened 5022,5023 and 5024 ports

inbound
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="SQL Server (Engine - 1433)" dir=in action=allow protocol=TCP localport=1433
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="SQL Server (Engine - 1433)" dir=in action=allow protocol=udp localport=137
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="SQL Server (Browser - 1434)" dir=in action=allow protocol=UDP localport=1434
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="SQL Server (Mirroring - 5022)" dir=in action=allow protocol=TCP localport=5022
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="SQL Server (Mirroring - 5022)" dir=in action=allow protocol=TCP localport=5023
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="SQL Server (Mirroring - 5022)" dir=in action=allow protocol=TCP localport=5024
     outbound
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="SQL Server (Engine - 1433)" dir=out action=allow protocol=TCP remoteport=1433
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="SQL Server (Browser - 1434)" dir=out action=allow protocol=UDP remoteport=1434
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="SQL Server (Browser - 1434)" dir=out action=allow protocol=UDP remoteport=137
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="SQL Server (Mirroring - 5022)" dir=out action=allow protocol=TCP remoteport=5022

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="SQL Server (Mirroring - 5022)" dir=out action=allow protocol=TCP remoteport=5023
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="SQL Server (Mirroring - 5022)" dir=out action=allow protocol=TCP remoteport=5024

After the whole process I get an error:
    One or  more of the server network addresses lacks a fully qualified domain name.
    Syntax:
    TCP://<computer_name>.<domain_segment>[<domain_segment>]:<port>

Problem here is, how can I set up a FQDN name for every of my instances?

In fact, is the same server..

In my Mirror Properties I've got:

Principal: TCP://ENRICHP:5022
    Mirror: TCP://ENRICHP:5023
    Witness:  TCP://ENRICHP:5024

What am I missing? How can I turn into these ones??

I know it does not make any sense but....

Principal:TCP://ENRICHP.mydomain.es:5022
    Mirror: TCP://ENRICHP.mydomain.es:5023
    Witness:  TCP://ENRICHP.mydomain.es:5024

Thanks a lot for your comments/hints

• Edited by Enric Vives Thursday, April 21, 2016 8:17 PM
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 8:16 PM

All replies

• I've tried substitute setting localhost IP for every point

TCP://127.0.0.1:5022

TCP://127.0.0.1:5023

TCP://127.0.0.1:5024

And as a result, getting this message:

Alter failed for Database 'GFSYSTEM2'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

The server network address "TCP://127.0.0.1:5022" can not be reached or does not exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and remote endpoints are operational. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 1418)

Thursday, April 21, 2016 8:36 PM
  • The same happen if I put my own IP...

HELP!!!

Thursday, April 21, 2016 8:43 PM
  • I don't give up.

I've changed my hostname: ENRICHP.ENRICHP

Alter failed for Database 'GFSYSTEM2'.  (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

The server network address "TCP://ENRICHP.ENRICHP:5022" can not be reached or does not exist. Check the network address name and that the ports for the local and remote endpoints are operational. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 1418)

Friday, April 22, 2016 7:26 AM
  • Hi Enric,

The above error 1418 can be caused by several reasons, for further analysis, please help to collect more detailed information from error log files of principal server and mirror server. By default, SQL Server error log file locates in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.xxxx\MSSQL\Log.

By the way, do the partners and witness have same service pack?

Thanks,
    Lydia Zhang

Lydia Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 22, 2016 9:52 AM
  • Thanks for your eply Lydia. I thought I was doing a solo flight across this forums with this.

Yes, three instances run with the same SP (SP1)

Well, in SQL logs nothing is registered but these ones, assuming is every connection I do in the Mirroring Wizard for Principal, Mirror and Witness servers:

Login succeeded for user 'ENRICHP\ENRIC'. Connection made using Windows Authentication

Friday, April 22, 2016 10:48 AM
  • you can also try the following steps:

1. Right click on the "My Computer" then properties.
    2. Click on the "computer name" tab, then click on the change button next to the "To Rename this computer or join a domain, click change"
    3. then you see the "Computer name changes" window, click the "More" button on it.
    4. You will see the "DNS suffix and NetBIOS ComputerName" window. Here, type "local" to the "Primary DNS Suffix of this Computer" textbox.
    5. then press OK 3 times and restart computer.

After put this "computername.local" to your computer name for the mirroring computer server network address.

Saturday, April 23, 2016 10:10 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Jason_Clark03, I did that as well unsucessfully (ENRICHP.ENRICHP)

Lydia, Jason_Clark03,

I've tried to configuring mirroring in the same way in one VM running 2008R2 along with SQL Server 2014 and get the same.

I obviously think there is something in the whole process I am missing 'cause googling outside, people states that is possible in the same box.

Thanks indeed to both for your help and comments,

Saturday, April 23, 2016 10:17 AM