none
Unable to create MDT task sequence RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed MDT on an SCCM site server running 2012 and server 2008.

When I try to create a client task image, whatever combination of settings I use, I get this as the result:

Started processing.
    Creating boot image.
    Copying WIM file.
    Mounting WIM file.
    WIM file mounted.
    Setting Windows PE system root.
    Set Windows PE system root.
    Set Windows PE scratch space.
    Adding standard components.
    Adding component: winpe-mdac
    Adding extra content from: C:\Users\blahblah\AppData\Local\Temp\2\zig2ez2h.ztm
    Unmounting WIM.
    Copying WIM to the package source directory.
    Creating boot image package.
    Error while importing Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Task Sequence.

Failed to insert OSD binaries into the WIM file

Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryException: The SMS Provider reported an error. ---> System.Management.ManagementException: Generic failure
       at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
       at System.Management.ManagementObject.Put(PutOptions options)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.Put(ReportProgress progressReport)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.Put(ReportProgress progressReport)
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.Put()
       at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.SCCM_ImportTaskSequenceTask.DoWork(SmsPageData smspageData, Dictionary`2 data)

Can someone give me some pointers as to what is going wrong? 

MCP, MCDST, MCTS x 6, MCITP x 3

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

If you like trance music, please subscribe to my podcast Trancendance Podcast

View my MCP Certifications

Follow me on Twitter

Friday, October 26, 2012 10:20 AM

Answers

All replies

• Can you re-open SCCM Console as "Run as Administrator" and try this again?

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Friday, October 26, 2012 10:31 AM
  • Hi Vic,

Same result I am afraid.

Brian

Please don't forget to mark this post as an answer if it is the solution to your problem!

Follow me on Twitter

Friday, October 26, 2012 11:15 AM
  • Brian - Can you confirm that you are running MDT 2012 Update 1? Please check the version..

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2012/09/19/mdt-2012-update-1-has-been-updated.aspx

Regards, Vik Singh "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Friday, October 26, 2012 11:23 AM
  • I'm using 6.1.2373.0 which is the latest one?

Follow me on Twitter

Friday, October 26, 2012 11:29 AM
  • Yup, that is. Give me an hour or so, I moving my SCCM 2012 from Physical to Virtual - I will try and let you know.

Friday, October 26, 2012 11:41 AM
  • Brain,

I tried to create a MDT Boot Image and it worked for me - SCCM 2012 with MDT 2012 Update 1.

Maybe something to do with WAIK Version? Or, have you replaced it with ADK?

Friday, October 26, 2012 2:09 PM
  • both are on there at the moment.

Follow me on Twitter

Friday, October 26, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Brian,

ok, I was able to repro the issue.

If you have WAIK + ADK - I get the same error.

So, uninstall WAIK should solve the problem.

Saturday, October 27, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Hi Vik,

I have uninstalled WAIK and then performed a repair on ADK, and redid the binaries and task sequences for MDT and now I get this instead:Started processing.
    Creating boot image.
    Copying WIM file.
    Mounting WIM file.
    WIM file mounted.
    Setting Windows PE system root.
    Set Windows PE system root.
    Set Windows PE scratch space.
    Adding standard components.
    Adding component: winpe-mdac
    Adding extra content from: C:\Users\blahblah\AppData\Local\Temp\2\41obfu23.bu4
    Unmounting WIM.
    Copying WIM to the package source directory.
    Creating boot image package.
    Error while importing Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Task Sequence.

Failed to read image property from the source WIM file due to error 80004005

Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlQueryException: The SMS Provider reported an error. ---> System.Management.ManagementException: Generic failure
       at System.Management.ManagementException.ThrowWithExtendedInfo(ManagementStatus errorCode)
       at System.Management.ManagementObject.Put(PutOptions options)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.ManagementProvider.WqlQueryEngine.WqlResultObject.Put()
       at Microsoft.BDD.Wizards.SCCM_ImportTaskSequenceTask.DoWork(SmsPageData smspageData, Dictionary`2 data)

I tried removing the autorun inf from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Templates\Distribution\Scripts as I found on windows-noob, but this just stopped it accessing the wim at all. Any ideas?

Follow me on Twitter

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:54 AM
  • My LAB setup is without SCCM Sp1 at the moment, therefore I have not uninstalled WAIK Yet.

Will install Sp1 first, and then uninstall WAIK.

Do you have SP1 (for SCCM) installed yet?

Monday, October 29, 2012 10:59 AM
  • No, Although I am naughty and have been deploying Windows 8 without SP1 present. Well, test deploying anyway. This is actually a production server, so SP1 won't go on it until its released.

Follow me on Twitter

Monday, October 29, 2012 11:34 AM
  • Following on from the earlier logic I removed ADK and reinstalled WAIK and then reapplied the binaries and now it works ok.

Follow me on Twitter

• Marked as answer by Brian_Jones Friday, November 9, 2012 10:30 AM
    Monday, October 29, 2012 12:40 PM
  • Nice!!!

Monday, October 29, 2012 12:50 PM