none
Project Server workflow issue. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guru's,

I'm managing projects with a workflow on Project Server 2013, currently all projects (800+) run through the flow without an issue except 1 project.

At a certain moment in time the workflow "completes" with errors. I am unable to push the project to the next stage, even though I am a farm, sharepoint and project server admin. I am unclear as to what couses the issue, this is the information I get when accesing the additional workflow information page:

RequestorId: 74967e53-aaf2-c09f-db28-36781c2c6f50. Details: System.ApplicationException: HTTP 500 {"Transfer-Encoding":["chunked"],"X-SharePointHealthScore":["0"],"SPClientServiceRequestDuration":["5061"],"SPRequestGuid":["9285303b-ad14-451d-974b-cf17b5dfbdf9"],"request-id":["9285303b-ad14-451d-974b-cf17b5dfbdf9"],"X-FRAME-OPTIONS":["SAMEORIGIN"],"MicrosoftSharePointTeamServices":["15.0.0.4420"],"X-Content-Type-Options":["nosniff"],"X-MS-InvokeApp":["1; RequireReadOnly"],"Cache-Control":["max-age=0, private"],"Date":["Thu, 14 Apr 2016 09:38:25 GMT"],"Server":["Microsoft-IIS\/7.5"],"X-AspNet-Version":["4.0.30319"],"X-Powered-By":["ASP.NET"]} at Microsoft.Activities.Hosting.Runtime.Subroutine.SubroutineChild.Execute(CodeActivityContext context) at System.Activities.CodeActivity.InternalExecute(ActivityInstance instance, ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager) at System.Activities.Runtime.ActivityExecutor.ExecuteActivityWorkItem.ExecuteBody(ActivityExecutor executor, BookmarkManager bookmarkManager, Location resultLocation)

Can anyone point me in the correct solution?

Many thanks,

Erik

Thursday, April 14, 2016 12:34 PM

All replies

• Erik,

Looks like you are having the HTTP 500 error, which is pretty generic. Few things to check:

1) Is this step trying to send any emails? Does all of the recipients have valid email addresses?

2) Does the user who initiated workflow have permissions to complete this step?

Other than these, it might require you to look through the event and ULS logs and see if you can find any information.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Thursday, April 14, 2016 3:43 PM
  • Eric:

Does the user who started the workflow have any issues with any other projects? I doubt that it's the email issue as that one fails without throwing errors. Just stops in its tracks. The workflow is trying to gain access to an object and is getting an access denied. What exactly are the steps in the stage at which it fails?

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:49 PM
  • Hi Guys,

There is an e-mail defined for the user. The user has 3 other projects that worked without a problem. The steps the user needs to undertake are relatively simple:

• In phase 1 the user sets a value to yes on a PDP and submits,
    • at the start of phase 2 an e-mail is sent to Project Control to approve the project and check certain values,
    • in phase 3 the project will be managed,
    • and phase 4 it's closed.

The issue arises on phase 2 submittion to phase 3. The project doesn't appair on the workflow approvals list for any of the Project Control members, and there isn't any error in the Queue jobs either.

Friday, April 15, 2016 7:51 AM
  • Perhaps Prasanna is correct and I have not seen this manifestation before. When you say "Project Control," has members, I assume that this a security group. The workflow will not look inside a group and send emails to each individual. If you waive the email notices in the task properties, then the system will create one task assigned to Project Control. If you want the members of the "group" to receive email, you have two choices:

1. Add each member of the group to the Start a Task Process with...

2. Setup notifications on the Approvals task list.

Pros and Cons: If you select #1, then you will need to edit the workflow each time the members change, but you will create a task for each member in the Workflow Approvals task list. If you select #2, the each member will get a notification, but there will be one task for each project in the Workflow Approvals task list.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Friday, April 15, 2016 11:09 AM
  • Hi Gary,

Although useful information this isn't the case with this client. The mails work for 99% of the time, with this project manager it bounced but not sure if it did because of the mail.

I'll dive in to the ULS logs next week and maybe I'll be able to get some more information to trouble shoot further.

Thanks Prasanna and Gary for helping me narrow the situation down,

Erik

Monday, April 18, 2016 6:52 AM