Problem With Windows Steady State (SCTUI ver 5.1.2600.3370) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have installed windows steady state on 13 computers in a teaching room last year.
    (SCTUI : 5.1.2600.3370 (vista_rtm(wmbla).070605-1549) )
    All was going fine.
    Since a few days, when I wake up the computers (by moving the mouse or hitting any key) some of these computers (stricly all the same, same configuration of WSS) wake up on a on a restart screen.
    The restart process goes on they display the screen "please wait, wss is comitting change...."
    In the configuration of WSS I have selected automatic security updates at 3:00.

Any Ideas of this problem ???

When I look in the event logs, It seems that this issue happens at the same time of the windows update process.

Any ideas ?

Updating to WSS 2.5 ?

In this case, what is the procedure ?
    I have read that to upgrade from Microsoft Shared Tools, we have to uninstall MST before installing WSS 2.5.
    But from my version of WSS (SCTUI : 5.1.2600.3370 (vista_rtm(wmbla).070605-1549) ), what is the procedure ?
    (The less time consuming !! Wink )

Thanks for all yours advices and help

Greetings from France

Donsaluste
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 1:45 PM

Answers

• What causes this is the logon screensaver.  When updates are running, the computer has logged off and is sitting on the logon screen.  If the updates take too long, the screensaver comes up and pauses any further action until a key is pressed or the mouse is moved.

I remedied this by increasing the time on the logon screensaver.  Instructions on how to do this can be found here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q185348/

The default is 15 minutes (900 seconds).  I'd increase it to about an hour (3600 seconds) or so and see if the problem goes away.

I hope this helps
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 4:01 AM

All replies

• What causes this is the logon screensaver.  When updates are running, the computer has logged off and is sitting on the logon screen.  If the updates take too long, the screensaver comes up and pauses any further action until a key is pressed or the mouse is moved.

I remedied this by increasing the time on the logon screensaver.  Instructions on how to do this can be found here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q185348/

The default is 15 minutes (900 seconds).  I'd increase it to about an hour (3600 seconds) or so and see if the problem goes away.

I hope this helps
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 4:01 AM
  • Hi Sean,

Thanks for your suggestion.
    It sounds good.
    I will modify the
    the time on the logon screensaver to see if it resolves the problem.

Thanks again for your help

DonSaluste

Thursday, July 17, 2008 8:37 AM