join windows 10 to windows server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday, I joined a new Dell case which having windows 10 installed on it to windows server, it joined well except that when I mapped the general folder located at windows server 2003. And when I open This PC. It takes a very long time keep searching an after that the general folder will not be opened. After I removed the mapping. This PC open normally. But I still need the shared general folder located at the server PC. So can you help me please to solve this issue?
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 10:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Firstly, please help to confirm if your server OS is SBS 2003. 

Open CMD-> type "winver" ->capture the screenshot of the pop-up window showing OS information

2. Do the Windows 10 PC and the server join the same domain?

3. Are you able to run URL like below to open the shared folder instead of clicking the mapping directly?

This "Small Business Server 2011 Essentials and Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials" Forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, please refer to this sticky post for more details. 

Thanks,

Eleven

"Small Business Server 2011 Essentials and Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!

We invite you to post new questions in the "Small Business Server 2011 Essentials and Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials"  forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

For more information, please refer to the sticky post.
    • Edited by Elevenyh Friday, July 24, 2020 5:34 AM
    Friday, July 24, 2020 5:33 AM
  • win server 2003 have only smb1 as a supported version, at the same time win10 have disabled smb1 as vulnerable protocol. So you have a chanse enambe smb1 on w10 and get +1 vulnerable pc in your domain, or you can migrate your domain on the supported os like 2012, 2016 or 2019

Btw, sbs 2011 and ws2008 both supports smb2, that by default enabled/supported by win10

The opinion expressed by me is not an official position of Microsoft

Friday, July 24, 2020 5:44 AM
  • Hi,

We could enable SMB1 on windows 10 by PowerShell.

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName SMB1Protocol

Also, we can enable by below steps.

Control panel->Programs->Turn Windows features on and off

Please refer to below link for more information.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/troubleshoot/detect-enable-and-disable-smbv1-v2-v3

If the information provided helps, you could mark the replies as answer.

Thanks,

Eleven

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Elevenyh Wednesday, August 5, 2020 3:20 AM
    Monday, July 27, 2020 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update? Did the information provided help to resolve your issue?

If they help, please mark the replies as answer so that we could close this thread for you.

Thanks,

Eleven

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 29, 2020 9:46 AM