Need to be able to save user password on Launchpad (when not domain connected) RRS feed

• General discussion

• I was hoping that this would be addressed in R2...... but from what I can see, it still forces users (non-domain-joined) to enter their password to sign-on through the connector!

I know that the rationale to this in WSE2012 was stated as "security" but it really feels like a show stopper for anyone wanting to keep machines off domain (i.e. those number of people primarily wanting a replacement to Windows Home Server) and is acting as such for me --- and it does not make much sense, given there are plenty of parts of Windows which does allow you save these sorts of password - so why is the connector seen to be such a risk? After all, you can't do that much with it other than tell it to backup the machine!

I can completely understand the security concerns around saving passwords for the dashboard shouldn't save a password - or at least force you to have a Windows password on the account where you are saving such an admin password, but really don't understand the risk factors you are protecting against (non-domain-joined) when not allowing the launchpad/connector to save the password. 

So please please consider those enthusiasts and evangelists who went with you on the WHS journey only to have the product pulled, and provide a way to get at this functionality even if it needs some "tweaking" to enable this functionality.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion to Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2. For any useful suggestions, I will report it to our product team. This will make our product better. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, July 26, 2013 8:53 AM
  • Having done some more playing, I think I might have a workaround which seems to be relatively robust. Not ideal (and not easy for "novice" users) but something which may be useful for the more technical users... This is what I tried and it has so far seemed to work (but need to do more testing):

• Logon as normal (remembering this is not domain joined)
    • If set to auto start, allow the Launchpad to start but leave logged off - then exit the LaunchPad
    • Browse on the network to the server, at which point you should get prompted for credentials
    • Enter a set of DOMAIN credentials (fully qualified either domain\user or user@domain)
    • Check the "save password" option, which means this should be saved in the user's Credential Manager
    • If you start the Launchpad now it should automatically inherit the domain
    • Logoff, logon again and the Launchpad should then come up as logged on automatically

Assuming the credentials don't change then this may be a "permanent" workaround - will try to do more testing of this to see if this is robust enough for what I need - and hopefully might be helpful for others, until the option on the Launchpad is hopefully reintroduced.

Monday, July 29, 2013 4:05 PM