Internet Explorer 7 freezes RRS feed

• Question

• Internet Explorer 7 freezes while trying to save web page in the default mht format. There are no particular web addresses involved (it even happens on TechNet pages). Just trying to save in the default MHT format produces IE freezes at unpredictable irregular intervals. To get out of the freeze I have to resort to Task Manager use. There is no error message until after using Task Manager to end the frozen browser. This happens on multiple platforms with Windows XP Home and SP3 installed. What can be done to stop (and/or prevent) this???

Friday, April 25, 2008 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hello Jpe

Strange behavior. Have you chkdsk /f and rebooted, recently?

Are you using the latest chipset drivers for the PATA, SATA? Check the cables for problems? Is your power supply large enough for the system? Anything over heating? Memory tested the installed memory?

Which video drivers are you using the latest?

Ati latest version catlyst 8.4, (8.48 beta is testing) Nvidia available signed drivers 174.74

Best tool that exists is over in sysinternals.com Overall tool for troubleshooting is process explorer to follow what threads are created and called by a program. It even looks into the operating system by propertys what drivers are loaded and called. There are a few video blogs about troubleshooting problems.

Hopefully some thing in this responce helps you out.

Still have the seen as boot anchor Mac Se, And an original Lisa

Keith

Friday, April 25, 2008 8:58 PM
  •  

I'm having the same problem, after SP3 IE7 freezes. Most of the times is when there are tabs open, and when I try to close one, it freezes the rest.
    Saturday, May 24, 2008 3:31 AM
  • Evening

This sounds strange but what sort of environment are you in an networked environment? Straight D.S.L. or cable network?

Do you have an antivirus program running? Bug your anti-virus program writer to improve it.

This may or may not have an effect. Just checking.

Check in your I.E. tools, connection, lan settings. Automatic detect internet sttings. Make sure this is enabled.

If you are in an networked environment I have a few other things to check.

Another tool is process monitor or process explorer to see if something else is going on. from sysinternals. Great tools. And blogs about how to troubleshoot problems.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 7:46 AM
  •  

This problem is not related to a single platform. All platforms are maintained regularly: chkdsk, defrag, latest drivers, etc. So that is not the problem. Cabling is not the problem (one platform is wireless). And the wireless platform has the same problem while connected to the home network, and hotel/airport/etc. networks. The platforms are all less than a year old, with ample power, RAM, etc. The problem only occurs while trying to save web pages in "Web Archive, single file (*.mht)" format. It does not happen everytime a page is saved, but occurs in a seemingly random pattern.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 2:09 PM
  •  

Your problem and my problem are not necessarily related. I do not have problems while trying to close tabs. The problem only occurs while trying to save web pages in "Web Archive, single file (*.mht)" format. It does not happen everytime a page is saved, but occurs in a seemingly random pattern.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 2:12 PM
  •  

This problem is not related to a single platform. All platforms are maintained regularly: chkdsk, defrag, latest drivers, etc. So that is not the problem. The platforms are all less than a year old, with ample power, RAM, etc.

Cabling is not the problem (one platform is wireless). And the wireless platform has the same problem while connected to the home network, and hotel/airport/etc. networks. It occurs when connected to the internet by means of DSL, Cable, wireless, or company direct connections. It occurs whether or not AV, anti-spyware, etc is running.

The problem only occurs while trying to save web pages in "Web Archive, single file (*.mht)" format. It does not happen everytime a page is saved, but occurs in a seemingly random pattern.

Saturday, May 24, 2008 2:18 PM
  • Evening all

I would check to see if any anti-virus programs are checking network drives. This is related to the crazy design world we live in. buit here are a few tips from my checking the net.

Look to file mon over in sysinternals. And see whats being opened by which program. Microsoft approved. Process explorer and see which processes are being called by IE juist before it slows down. By using one of these programs. If you are connecting to a network that is not your home network. A file may be opening or being searched or.  Have either of you removed any sort of programs lately? Or switched from one anti-virus to another?

I would also clear the c:\windows\SoftwareDistrubtion\download folder

Check any folders you commonly used to reset the display order back to by name or not *sort when picture taken by."

Hotfix KB834350

Start up regedit and check this item

Locate and click the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MrxSmb\Parameters

InfoCacheLevel Dword and set to 10 cache all files and folders.

c:\documents and settings\UserName\Application data\microsoft\Office\recent

clear all entrys here.

While in internet explorer

Click on Tool, Internet options, Advanced Tap, the clear "Use inline autocomplete"

I would also consider downloading and re-installing the Windows installer.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 11:05 AM
  •  jpetree1 wrote:

This problem is not related to a single platform. All platforms are maintained regularly: chkdsk, defrag, latest drivers, etc. So that is not the problem. The platforms are all less than a year old, with ample power, RAM, etc.

Cabling is not the problem (one platform is wireless). And the wireless platform has the same problem while connected to the home network, and hotel/airport/etc. networks. It occurs when connected to the Internet by means of DSL, Cable, wireless, or company direct connections. It occurs whether or not AV, antispyware, etc is running.

The problem only occurs while trying to save web pages in "Web Archive, single file (*.mht)" format. It does not happen everytime a page is saved, but occurs in a seemingly random pattern.

jpetree1, have you happened to find a solution to your problem yet I have been having the exact same thing happen to me for some time now and no matter where I look I can't find a fix for it. If you did find a solution would you please post it here so that I may use it to fix my PC and if I find a fix before you I will be happy to post it for you.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 3:36 AM
  • I do not have an immediate answer at this time but I wonder if you have worked through either or both of the following MS Support advisories:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926449/en-us

and

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro

I am not saying either contain the answer to your problem but you never know.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 9:26 AM
  • I have had the same problem, IE 7, SP3; browser freezes at random when saving mht pages;

I verified dialup flow, IE history; IE processes  to conclude that the browser does not send a signal at the start of the faulty save; dialup flow pattern is different from nornal mht save. Problem arises after XP SP3 is installed; is inside IE process tree, I work over media center edition.

Deinstalling to IE 6 is risk because does not occurs all time; I adjusted oppening new windows when I sense will have to save mht. Just like IE 6

Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:45 PM
  • In my case it happens also when I am saving pages as full page .htm, .html

I checked

IE->Tools->Internet Options->Security->domain->custom level->miscellaneous->access data source across domains

Though I highly doubt it, it may be possible that where ie can not access the files it attempts to save it blocks. Again I highly doubt this is the issue since the availability of  the data in this case is application option/setting controlled.

I unchecked

IE->Tools->Internet Options->Security->domain->custom level->miscellaneous->open files based on content and not file extensions.

I suspect this would be the problem area. If the later option is allowed ie needs to peruse some bytes into the files in order to determine their type. When saving it is possible (I dont work for ms so I can't be sure) that this flag is used and hence when ie checks looks for the file's type by checking as mentioned some bytes into the file it may encounter odd data that it can not handle.

The only reason I think this may be the area is that ms has been using file extensions for file type determination for quite some time and may be lacking experience detecting file types by the first N bytes of data.

I'll post any results after letting ie be used in this state untill either the problem reoccurs or a week

of non occurence.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:45 PM
  • Froze again.

??

Let me know if anyone solves this issue.

Thanks

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 9:19 PM
  • IE7 does this to me all the time. Doesn't matter if I'm saving as mht or full webpage save... it will freeze randomly.

Have not found a solution so I'm just using Mozilla to save pages.
    Saturday, January 3, 2009 4:26 PM