none
How take Branch offices backup centrally through DPM 2012 Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have one HQ and 200 branch offices. I want to take the backup of 200 branch offices centrally through DPM 2012 server.

To achieve this solution what procedure i have to follow. Shall i go with one DPM server at HQ or i have to configured each DPM server at branch offices.

I have 3 MBS link in each offices.

Thanks and Regards Deepak

Thursday, May 8, 2014 12:17 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure there is a simple, easy answer.  It depends on what you want to achieve via the DPM protection.  My two cents is to have your DPM servers for the branch offices running at your HQ location so your backups are "offsite".  This will protect you in the event a branch office is lost.  All protection elements except for BMR are pretty efficient with DPM and you can compress the traffic from your branch locations.

You can have multiple DPM servers at HQ and balance your server protection load across that farm.

You may want to have a DPM server at a branch location that protects some of your HQ servers to provide an offsite backup for HQ resources.

Be careful with BMR backups across WAN links.  The BMR sends the entire BMR backup every time.  And the BMR backup can include multiple drives if you happened to have installed applications on something other than the system drive (C:).  You can get a list of all the drives that will be included in the BMR backup by running this command on a server: "wbadmin start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\localhost\c$".  Just hit CTRL-C after it shows you the drives that will be included.

You'll need to run the DPM backup across a private link or via site-to-site tunnels.  I don't recommend trying to do a DPM backup with a firewall between the two sites.  I'm sure it could be done...but I don't recommend it.

Rob

Sunday, May 11, 2014 2:06 PM
  • Hi Rob

I dont want to keep a DPM in branch office. In branch office i have a tape Drive. I want to take backup in the remote location tape drive through DPM server.at HQ which will be stored locally at branch office only.

Can it possible to attached the remote location tape drive server to DPM server.

Or i need to have a DPM server must in Branch office for this activity

Sunday, May 11, 2014 3:13 PM
  • I don't think that would be possible.  You should just install the DPM agent on the machines in the branch office and protect them using a DPM server at the HQ.  At least that would be my recommendation.  And eliminate the tape process entirely.  You'll have a much faster and reliable restore process if you are disk based versus tape.  I'm biased, however, since I haven't used a tape-based backup in over 10 years.  I've found disk-based backups to be much more reliable and predictable in restore speeds.

I don't think it is possible to protect the tape-based backup in the remote office using DPM in the HQ.

Rob

Sunday, May 11, 2014 3:50 PM
  • You can just install one DPM on your HQ. Install agents on each server in branch offices and protect them using DPM server. Go to Management tab, set Throttle computer and check Enable network bandwith usage throttling to limit bandwith.

I did that for my company. It works fine.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:19 AM
  • Hi Remi

thanks for your answer but my question is different. 

I want to take backup in the remote location tape drive through DPM server.at HQ which will be stored locally at branch office only.

Can it possible to attached the remote location tape drive server to DPM server.

Or i need to have a DPM server must in Branch office for this activity

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 12:14 PM
  • Hello,

According to me, it's not possible. You need a DPM server in your branch office. But with 200 branch office, it's not a good solution. I have tape drive and it's connected through Fiber Channel to my DPM server. I need a physical connection between tapes and DPM server.

Generally, to backup branch office, you just need to install an agent on each server that you need to protect.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 12:29 PM