Problems with Win 10's management of shares when machine goes offline RRS feed

• Question

• Environment:

• Win 2012 R2 Server (DC)
    • Win 2012 R2 Server (File Server)
    • Shares mapped by group policy (I.e. \\SERVER\Share gets mapped on N:
    • Clients run Windows 10 Pro.
    • We use OpenVPN client to dial back into network when users are outside office.
    • Above stack has been working flawlessly for at least 3 years. Problems started when we started replacing some of our machines with Windows 10.

Consider this scenario:

1. User is sitting in office, has several word/excel docs open, outlook windows running etc. Some of those MS Office docs are open off "Mapped Drives" that are mapped to our Win 2012 R2 file server.
    2. User has to go home for an emergency. He simply closes the lid on his laptop, packs it up and goes home -- intending to dial in by VPN and resume work later.
    3. User gets home - turns on laptop (resume form sleep) - here's where my problems start.

At this point, if the user opens "N:" in explorer, only 1 or 2 folders (out of a possible 30 or 40) will be visible. Refreshing does nothing. The user is connected via a stable VPN connection. The latency between the users machine is less than 10 milliseconds; The throughput between the users computer and the file server is AT LEAST 5 mbit/s - so not slow by any description.

Accessing the server by using \\SERVER.mydomain.local\Share sometimes shows all files - othertimes not.

Trying to remove the mapped drive the drive using "net use N: /delete" in administrative cmd it does not work - I end up with some sort of "Offline" drive stuck in limbo - and it is listed as "CSC-CACHE". 

It appears that, Windows is somehow wanting to do some sort of aggressive caching. Moreover, it does a terrible job of it and ends up with the user only being able to see one or two folders, with no readily available way to FORCE the system to go "back online", and no way to remove/re-add the drive map.

How do I disable this "caching" feature? Totally disabling offline files is NOT option for us since we use Redirected Folders, and those need to be available offline.

What has changed so drastically between Windows 7/8 (both worked great) and 10 (total disaster) that is causing this?

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 12:16 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the link. As I mentioned though, turning off offline files completely isn't an option for me because my users are using Redirected Folders. If I disable offline folders, they will get a BLANK desktop when they log in and nothing will work since their desktop contents are inaccessible.

In any case, I have made some tweaks in group policy for the "Offline File Slow Link Speed detection" settings. I have increased the slow link detection latency to 800 ms, and the "slow speed" throughput to 64 kbit/s.

I've also turned off the ability to cache files on this share, and also turned off users' ability to make files available offline.

This was not an issue on older versions of windows for us (only 10). While doing my research on this issue I found many people having similar issues. There were people having this problem while using their corporate Wi-Fi. It appears the "default" settings flow slow link speed detections in Windows 10 are no longer "sane".

I will update this thread if this turns out to not be the solution.

• Edited by breakaway9001 Thursday, February 8, 2018 5:19 AM Clarity (and catharsis)
    • Marked as answer by breakaway9001 Thursday, February 8, 2018 5:19 AM
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 11:25 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The only way of disable cache feature is disable offline file.

Check to be sure offline files is not on for that on your share.

Here is a same thread as yours:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/456564-vpn-user-missing-folders-in-network-share

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If that's not allowed, according to current status, it's obviously mapped drive is not connect to File Server to get it back online.

Please ping the File Server when files are invisible.  Disable the security software and Firewall temporarily for test.

Follow this thread to configure your group policy:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/8650c2be-55d1-4fc6-8cd9-527d32a6c7bb/offline-files-remain-disconnected-after-connecting-vpn?forum=itprovistanetworking

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 8:02 AM
  • Thanks for the link. As I mentioned though, turning off offline files completely isn't an option for me because my users are using Redirected Folders. If I disable offline folders, they will get a BLANK desktop when they log in and nothing will work since their desktop contents are inaccessible.

In any case, I have made some tweaks in group policy for the "Offline File Slow Link Speed detection" settings. I have increased the slow link detection latency to 800 ms, and the "slow speed" throughput to 64 kbit/s.

I've also turned off the ability to cache files on this share, and also turned off users' ability to make files available offline.

This was not an issue on older versions of windows for us (only 10). While doing my research on this issue I found many people having similar issues. There were people having this problem while using their corporate Wi-Fi. It appears the "default" settings flow slow link speed detections in Windows 10 are no longer "sane".

I will update this thread if this turns out to not be the solution.

• Edited by breakaway9001 Thursday, February 8, 2018 5:19 AM Clarity (and catharsis)
    • Marked as answer by breakaway9001 Thursday, February 8, 2018 5:19 AM
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 11:25 AM
  • I'm having the same issue with over WIFI always going into offline mode and can't get it back in online mode. I'm trying to disable the slow link speed setting completely right now.
    Monday, March 5, 2018 9:12 PM
  • Haha! yeah good luck with that. I had to disable the service entirely. My "solution" works fine on LAN connected desktops, but for remote users and laptops i dont have a fix. However you guys are not alone. Many many people have problems with win10 and offline files lately it seems. i spent a few days researching it at this point.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/ca9921e5-3fb8-41dd-b46e-eb4cf3f74a2d/on-slow-connections-automatically-work-offline-uncheck

you can also get your users to toggle "work offline" by browsing to the DFS root folder and going to "easy access" to find the work offline button. that gets them immediately online but most users will have trouble with that instruction without a howto document of somesort with pictures i have found.

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:46 PM