ReadOnly SiteLock results access denied messages RRS feed

• Question

• When setting a site collection as read only, you can't get to the site and produces access denied. I have found the issue and great find solution below after scouring the net.

ReadOnly SiteLock results in random access denied messages

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepointadmin/thread/09194f0e-f241-409e-bb89-7c8f5cd8e59d

"It seems that the access denied messages come from files in Pages libraries which have not yet been published (i.e. version 0.x). This is true for all kind of files (.aspx, .pdf, .doc - yes some are using the Pages library to store documents...)."

I went through the pages library using SP designer and checked back in some pages and published them using a major version and site comes up when you set the site collection to read only.

The question I have is how to prevent the access denied in the future, so I tried to reproduce the behavior again by checking out a page and publishing in as minor version and keeping it in a checked out state. However, the site still comes up when I set the site collection in read only instead of the expected access denied. My question is, did it fix it the first time around so any future check outs and minor version updates do not affect it anymore and subsequently won't get the access denied?

Win3k

SharePoint 2007 SP2 + Feb 2011 post hotfixes

James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 3:31 PM

Answers

• Sorry for the delay.

As opposed to the access denied page, users get the last major version if the page was checked in and published as minor version based on my test.

Thanks & Regards

Lily Wu
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Lily Wu || Microsoft Online Community Support Engineer || SharePoint
    • Marked as answer by Jamestechman Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:22 AM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:00 AM

All replies

• Hi James,

On my local test, the access denied error occurs specifically to pages that haven’t been published any major versions. Once a major version had been publish to authenticated users, user get the recently publish major version of the page in read-only mode even the editor have yet to check-in the latest edition or it’s in un-published state.

Thanks & Regards.

Lily Wu

Thursday, March 31, 2011 8:54 AM
  • Thanks for the reply! But if the editor checks it back in and publishes in minor version shouldn't I get access denied again?

James Chong MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+ Security+, Project+, ITIL msexchangetips.blogspot.com
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:10 PM

• Sorry for the delay.

As opposed to the access denied page, users get the last major version if the page was checked in and published as minor version based on my test.

Thanks & Regards

Lily Wu

• Marked as answer by Jamestechman Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:22 AM
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:00 AM
  • Thanks for taking the time to test and validate!
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:23 AM