none
IPP feature to map network printers RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

Please let me quickly explain the issue I am facing at the moment. We have an internal webpage on out intranet which displays all the printers available and gives the option to the user to map it using the following link (IPP is installed on our printserver):

http://PRINTSERVER/printers/ipp_0015.asp?eprinter=PRINTERNAME&view=q

The Printserver is running on Windows Server 2008 R2 and all our Clients are running on Windows 7 64-bit.

So far so good, everything was working without any issues - now we are in the middle of a Internet Explorer 11 rollout and now the mapping of the printer via the URL isn't working anymore. Here what happens when opening an URL:

Internet Eplorer 9
    I can see a Pop-Up which tells me something like "Do you want to create a printer connection to \\PRINTSERVER\PRINTER ?"

Internet Explorer 11
    No Pop-Up is displayed and I can see a webpage "PRINTER on PRINTSERVER" with some basic information like "Printer Queue", "Waiting Time", etc.

The even more funny thing is: When I enable Enterprise Mode for the webpage which is trying to map the printer then it's working as it should and as it did back on Internet Explorer 9.

Maybe anyone was facing the same issue and can provide me some help?

Thanks a lot,
    Rolf

Monday, July 28, 2014 11:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Tools>Internet Options>Security tab, Intranet zone... is Enhance Protected Mode enabled (it is disabled by default for the Intranet zone)

EPM loads web pages in a x64 frame... 32 bit ActiveX controls and Addons are not available. (Tools>Manage Addons>Show all addons)

Enterprise Mode, (amongst other things) forces the browser to use a x32 frame, so that legacy 32 bit ActiveX controls are still supported, regardless of the IE Security zone settings for the internet and intranet zones.)

File>Properties to find out which IE Security zone your printer configuration page maps to.

F12>Console tab, refresh the page... to display any suppressed error messages from the web page.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Monday, July 28, 2014 10:57 PM
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. I checked several things:

1. The printer configuration page maps as expected to the intranet zone
    2. EPM is disabled for the intranet zone
    3. The Debugger isn't showing any useful error message the only thing I can see is the following code snippet:
    HTML1524: Ungültiger HTML5 DOCTYPE. Verwenden Sie die interoperable Form "<!DOCTYPE html>".

If you have any additional inputs or see any way to solve that I would really appreciate that.

What I just found out, when I switch the document mode to IE8 via F12 -> Emulation the printer action "connect" comes back. Is it possible that I have to look on the Server 2008 R2 side if there is an update available?

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 6:35 AM
  • From what I see, there seems to be compatibility issue with your webpage and IE 11.

Use F12 tools to determine where the issue occurred, as this is associated with the webpage code, consider seek help in IE web developer forum,

Another thoughts, this might be caused by the User agent string.

Rgds

Thursday, July 31, 2014 8:43 AM
  • It's clear to me that the webpage has compatibility issues, but since the webpage is automatically created during the installation of the IPP Service there is not a lot which I can do on the programming side.
    Monday, August 4, 2014 11:23 AM
  • When I enable Enterprise Mode for the webpage which is trying to map the printer then it's working as it should and as it did back on Internet Explorer 9.

That sounds like a solution to me.  What's wrong with it?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, August 4, 2014 2:09 PM
    Answerer
  • When I enable Enterprise Mode for the webpage which is trying to map the printer then it's working as it should and as it did back on Internet Explorer 9.

That sounds like a solution to me.  What's wrong with it?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Of course that is working, but for me that sounds like a workaround - and I was looking for a way to solve the issue.
    Monday, August 4, 2014 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

From the HTML information that you posted when using F12 tools, I suggest we seek help in IE web development forum for further investigation. Please use the Enterprise mode or change the Document Mode to IE 8 as a workaround.

Internet Explorer Web Development

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/home?forum=iewebdevelopment

Here are some references:

Using the F12 developer tools

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 3:22 AM