Windows Server 2012 and Essentials Free Upgrade to R2? RRS feed

• Question

• I've been awaiting news relating to the price of R2 and if there will be an upgrade option available and came across this article which says:

"Users who are Microsoft Software Assurance (SA) licensees and who already have Windows Server 2012 won't pay anything additional to move to the R2 version of the product, according to the datasheet. Windows Server 2012 users (whether or not they have Software Assurance) don't need to upgrade their CALs; they can use the same CALs on both Server 2012 and Server 2012 R2."

Can anyone confirm if this is true? Would the upgrade be as simple as a Windows Update?

• Edited by MagnumF0rce Saturday, August 10, 2013 9:07 AM
    Saturday, August 10, 2013 9:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The "datasheet" mentioned in that article could be found on Microsoft website. Have a look on this:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/buy/pricing-licensing.aspx

It is different in description so please just click Download Datasheet button to get a copy.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 12, 2013 8:28 AM
  • None of the links discuss about 2012 R2 upgrade pricing, so if i have Server Essentials 2012 purchased from OEM & want to upgrade to Essentials 2012 R2 i will have to pay another 501$. this is ridiculous, i used to have WHS 2011 & had to upgrade to Windows Server 2012 Essentials due its nice features, now less than 9 months after upgrading i will have to pay another 501$. I hope MS will have a cheaper option to upgrade to R2. I know that Server 2012 Essentials is an over kill for home use but there is no other option, i dont want to use WHS 2011 which will not have any support from MS in the future.
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The "datasheet" mentioned in that article could be found on Microsoft website. Have a look on this:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/buy/pricing-licensing.aspx

It is different in description so please just click Download Datasheet button to get a copy.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 12, 2013 8:28 AM
  • 1.  If you are paying for software assurance willyou get it as part of your SA benefit?

Answer yes.  But only if you have purchase a volume license with software assurance.  If you bought OEM or retail, it will not be free.

2. Will the upgrade be as easy as a patch downloaded from Windwos update?

Answer.  Heck no.

That's not what the data sheet is saying.  They are talking about pricing, not about the upgrade experience. 

in the case of Essentials it's a migration of a domain scenerio.

Don't Retire TechNet

Monday, August 12, 2013 8:55 AM
  • Oh I see, probably have searched for the datasheet before asking so thanks for pointing me towards it.

Also, after looking over the datasheet, there was no mention of the release date. Has Microsoft said when it's going RTM?

• Edited by MagnumF0rce Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:48 AM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:44 AM
  • None of the links discuss about 2012 R2 upgrade pricing, so if i have Server Essentials 2012 purchased from OEM & want to upgrade to Essentials 2012 R2 i will have to pay another 501$. this is ridiculous, i used to have WHS 2011 & had to upgrade to Windows Server 2012 Essentials due its nice features, now less than 9 months after upgrading i will have to pay another 501$. I hope MS will have a cheaper option to upgrade to R2. I know that Server 2012 Essentials is an over kill for home use but there is no other option, i dont want to use WHS 2011 which will not have any support from MS in the future.
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:25 PM
  • if i have Server 2012 (Standard/Essentials) and if i want to upgrade to R2, does any one know if this is going to be an in-place upgrade or do i have to install from scratch. the reason i ask is i am using server 2012 Standard now, i got a license for Essentials, i am determining if i should stick with Standard or go to Essentials, right now i am loosing the functionality of backing up my computers at home & not able to stream media, i do understand that once I upgrade to Standard R2 i should get this functionality back, but any suggestions on which is better Standard OR Essentials, i would like to use the server to stream media using Plex & WP8, share files/folders with friends & family, ultimately i would like to install office web apps & make my own cloud like skydive, where i can edit documents on the web.

appreciate your help in advance.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 2:43 PM
  • if i have Server 2012 (Standard/Essentials) and if i want to upgrade to R2, does any one know if this is going to be an in-place upgrade or do i have to install from scratch. the reason i ask is i am using server 2012 Standard now, i got a license for Essentials, i am determining if i should stick with Standard or go to Essentials, right now i am loosing the functionality of backing up my computers at home & not able to stream media, i do understand that once I upgrade to Standard R2 i should get this functionality back, but any suggestions on which is better Standard OR Essentials, i would like to use the server to stream media using Plex & WP8, share files/folders with friends & family, ultimately i would like to install office web apps & make my own cloud like skydive, where i can edit documents on the web.

appreciate your help in advance.

If you read the release notes...

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn303418.aspx  2012 to R2 Server supported in place upgrades

Because of the nature of Essentials there appears to be no in place upgrade, it's a cross migration.

Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:36 AM
  •   I thought that Susan Bradley made that point up near the top of this thread. Essentials must be a domain controller. You have to migrate the domain.

Bill

Friday, August 23, 2013 12:20 AM