Outlook Search not working as of late January 2018 RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 10.0.16299, Office 365 version 1712 (Build 8827.2148), and in Outlook itself it reports version 2016 MSO (16.0.8827.2131) 32 bit. Sometime between Monday Jan 22 and Wednesday Jan 24, 2018 the search function in Outlook mail became "broken", returning no results. I stopped and restarted the search service, and re-indexed the search in Indexing. The desktop search of files on the computer is working just fine, but when I put in any search item in Outlook Mail program it returns nothing, (showing the default message to "find more on the server", but I only have my mail stored here locally for the most part). Search does seem to be working for searching in the Calendar, (if I put in a client's name, all their appointments show up), so it is just not searching the mail folders on the computer apparently. I am using a gmail mail address only, with .PST files for each year. Up until a day or so ago, if I entered a client's name, all their emails, going back many years, showed up instantly as it searched through all those PST files. Now, nothing shows up at all. I have also done a repair of the PST files using Scanpst.exe.

I have another computer, my laptop, and the same issue is present in Outlook too (though it's version of Office is the same, the Outlook version is 16.0.8827.2131). 

Again, the desktop search for documents/files is working. But there is something seriously wrong with Outlook search. I also reinstalled Outlook just before I wrote this note, with a full "Online Repair". I know/remember it has been broken before by updates, did this happen again? Anybody else having this same issue?

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 3:32 PM

Answers

• Here is the reported issue:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/No-Search-results-found-when-using-All-Mailboxes-3a982433-cfdf-46f3-bae1-d9c50d79bebd

To revert to a previous version:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2770432/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2013-or-office-2016-clic

Thanks for this information. I was wrestling with this for the past few days and as soon as reading your links, resolved the issue by switching to conversation view mode and the issue was resolved! Looking forward to the MS patch to solve this.
    • Marked as answer by Wattride Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:43 PM
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 8:25 PM

All replies

• Having same/similar issue. Outlook search is not pulling up all items. It seems to be leaving out items from January 2018. To test it, I can find some items in my inbox from a few days ago, but when I search for them, the latest items it brings up are from December 2017. Kinda irritating. I rely on the inbox search feature a lot at work. I hope we hear of a solution soon.

Update: I tried it again, and when I got the search results showing only items from 2017, I decided to try clicking on the 'more items' at the bottom of the search. Sure enough, my January 2018 results popped up. 

Somehow my search feature has defaulted to last year, and I have to select 'more' to get this year's items. Feature, or bug?

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 4:13 PM
  • After applying the latest updates same issue for me. All my macros that perform a search return nothing. How can an update break the search functionality? This should be a very basic test that is performed before any release is made public. I rely heavily on this as I have many email accounts for multiple clients. If anyone has a fix please post.

It appears to be searches on dates. A search with the following options on all mailboxes will just spin:

folder:Inbox received: (today)

• Edited by johmar-6 Wednesday, January 24, 2018 5:56 PM
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 4:20 PM
  • I changed Outlook update setting to Insider updates, and it fixed the issue only temporarily.

This workaround works until fix provided by Msft:

The fix is expected in the next major update. Until then, you can workaround the issue by enabling Show as Conversations.

1. In the Outlook Ribbon click the View tab.

2. Click the check box for Show as Conversations.

3. Optionally apply to This folder only.

Show as Conversations workaround_c3m_2018012172544 

Navid Rachman Rachman Technical Services, Inc.

• Edited by RachmanTech Friday, January 26, 2018 7:53 PM
    • Proposed as answer by RachmanTech Friday, January 26, 2018 7:53 PM
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 4:47 PM
  • Just an update on the issue. I found that if I put in a search term, for a client's name for instance, and in the drop down menu select this mailbox, or all mailboxes or current folder or all folders, I will get no results. However, if I select search all Outlook items I get results, but only from 2014 and earlier. So any emails from 2015 onward are not being searched. What is going on?

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 6:02 PM

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/No-Search-results-found-when-using-All-Mailboxes-3a982433-cfdf-46f3-bae1-d9c50d79bebd

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2770432/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2013-or-office-2016-clic

• Proposed as answer by EKirme Wednesday, January 24, 2018 8:25 PM
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 8:12 PM

Thanks for this information. I was wrestling with this for the past few days and as soon as reading your links, resolved the issue by switching to conversation view mode and the issue was resolved! Looking forward to the MS patch to solve this.
    • Marked as answer by Wattride Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:43 PM
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 8:25 PM
  • These steps fixed it for me - reverted back to previous version. Search is back to normal. (Office 2016 32 bit)

Open cmd as administrator:

cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.8730.2165

(Note turn off auto updates in Outlook -> File - Office Account - Office Updates)
    • Edited by johmar-6 Wednesday, January 24, 2018 8:52 PM
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 8:29 PM
  • These steps fixed it for me - Search is working now. (Office 365 32 bit)
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:09 PM
  • This worked for me as well. Just change to conversation view, and the search function works as it should. I look forward to a fix to this bug as well. I hope MS takes note of this. Search is one of the most useful and necessary functions in any database program. 
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 10:45 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for Johmar's sharing here. Our team is currently working on it now and the fix is expected in the next major update.

Regards, 

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 3:32 AM
  • My search also stopped working. Changing to conversation view made results instantly appear.

This should be fixed by a patch straight away really MS. This is a fundamental flaw in the operation of this program.

A functioning search facility is critical.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 10:12 AM
  • I have the same problem. Its unbelievable that Microsoft don't preform a full test before launching an update.

Looking forward for any solution ASAP

Thursday, January 25, 2018 4:59 PM
  • You can go one version further: January 9, 2018 Version 1711 (Build 8730.2175)

officc2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.8730.2175

16.0.8730.2165=January 2, 2018 Version 1711 (Build 8730.2165)

Saturday, January 27, 2018 7:00 PM
  • I switched to conversation view and I still got no results.  I then tried to revert to version 8730.2165 and got an error.  This is really unacceptable as the search feature is a major component of Outlook and should have been properly tested before being released.  When will this be fixed???
    Monday, January 29, 2018 3:13 PM
  • Microsoft,

We have a very large marine documentation company that cannot search inside their emails if they updated their PCs. We're disparate right now and our helpdesk is getting slammed. Please come out with some kind of HOTFIX!

Monday, January 29, 2018 4:31 PM
  • I had same issue and tried all the standard fixes such as rebuild, scanpst etc. - all failed.

However, switching to view and checking the box "show as conversation" for all mailboxes, and then searching has worked.

Really annoying, but at least it's a work around for me.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:14 AM
  • Hi Perry,

can you already give a time frame when the next major update can be expected? Due to now i turned off auto updates as i am going back to previous version?

Thanks

Mantao

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 10:34 AM
  • I have been struggling with this issue for a few days and the only solution without any other worries was to rollback the version to the last mentioned.

Thank you! It fixed the problem.

PCQUATRO

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 12:20 PM
  • Thank you!!  Unbelievable that this works but changing to conversation mode magically fixed the search function.  Previously I couldn't even search the "find messages in this conversation".  I don't really like conversation mode but can put up with it until they make the fix.  Thanks again.
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:52 PM
  • Dear Microsoft, 

Same here on Office 2016. I really really REALLY NEED to be able to search my e-mails, workwise it is a number 1 life necessity. Microsoft, you can't just force an update on your paying customers if in that update a very important function suddenly is not functioning as it is supposed anymore. And you know, I don't understand: why?? If it ain't broken, don't fix it! It worked! So why did you make it un-work?!? You disappointed your paying customers with the index and search function back like what, a year ago? It was really horrible then, because search wasn't working at all. Thank God now it is not near as bad as back then, but hey...you are Microsoft, not some effing start-up, you got hold some pride in that name, and we, we are paying customers, we're not free-riders looking for free software. Don't do this to us!!!

So here is my problem (this time): when I search in Inbox, I will get the results I expect. When I search in Sent Items, I will get the results I expect. However, when I search in Inbox and then want to search in All Folders, I get zero results. I get the option to click on "find more on the server", but that doesn't yield any result at all. When I searched in All Folders last week, I would get the results from Inbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items, locally stored items etc., just as it was expected to work. So why did you take that away from me? Did I not pay for you product? Did I do something else wrong? 

Please Microsoft, this is not nice and is costing me a lot of time and money...:( Please make things normal again!

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 12:40 AM
  • 100% agree.  This is ridiculous!

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 1:50 AM
  • Just downloaded latest Office updates which took me to Version 1712 (Build 8827.2179) and the issue has been resolved - at least for me!
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 7:12 AM
  • "resolved the issue by switching to conversation view mode" - worked perfectly!! 

You can find the instructions @ https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Turn-on-or-off-Conversations-arrangement-in-the-message-list-96b6b5ea-def6-4a85-be5a-6fce272fe569

Thanks.

Thursday, February 1, 2018 10:34 AM
  • Upgraded from Office 2013 to Office 2016 on January 30, 2018.  Search of any mail folder with any criteria returns "No Results". Indexed, Search returns "No Results". Ran Scanpst.exe, Search returns "No Results" Created new pst, Search returns "No Results". Switched to "conversation" view, Search returns "No Results". Just downloaded latest Office update Version 1712 (Build 8827.2179) and Search returns "No Results". Any other ideas?

Thursday, February 1, 2018 4:27 PM
  • Hi Perry,

When is the major update coming? Please confirm since I revert to my previous office version and disabled the updated.

Thanks

Thursday, February 1, 2018 9:59 PM
  • Hi,

The issue is fixed in Monthly Channel Version 1712 (Build 8827.2179). To get the latest update immediately, open Outlook and choose File > Office Account > Update Options > Update Now.

Please check this official articles.

You could find the update information in this link.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by MaddMan9 Tuesday, February 6, 2018 12:56 PM
    Friday, February 2, 2018 1:00 AM
  • These days Micro$oft rely on its customers to do testing for them. The amount of problems updates create is ridiculous. Microsoft most of the time does not acknowledge there is a problem and then we have to wait months for the major updates to fix the problems
    Monday, February 5, 2018 2:47 PM
  • I agree.  I have wasted time and have had diminished work performance since the update that "broke" search.  Search is worthless without searching across my archives, multiple o365 and local accounts, etc.  I depend on search constantly, but don't have the time to stop daily and read blogs for 4 hours trying to find out why something isn't working.  Get it together MS!!!  Do you not know how to QA ANYTHING?!  What do you write your own apps in?  Ever hear of a unit test?  Who's driving the bus?!!!!
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 1:00 PM
  • Hi Perry

Have applied the update and it still doesn't work. Conversation option doesn't work. Reloading outlook doesn't work. Rebuilding the index's doesn't work, Any further suggestions please?

The only thing that might be different with my installation is that it was originally a 64 installation, a few weeks ago I installed the 32 bit version. Could it be a hangover from that action?

Clicktorun to install previous version fails with an error code 30125.27-27(404)

Regards

Neil

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:31 AM
  • I'm having the same issue but with an older version of Office (2007).  In this version the suggested 'search by conversation' fix didn't help.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2018 3:59 AM
  • Outlook 2016 latest updates.  I just upgraded to new computer so fresh install of Windows 10 and the Office 365 programs.  I desperately need email search for my business.  

I spent 3 hours with level 1 support then transferred to level 2 support on February 16 I ran out of time to troubleshoot with them, no luck.

The level 2 guy called back Sunday Feb 18th morning and I spent 4 hours with him trying everything, no luck.  The call ended with him taking some screenshots to pass on to level 3 support.  He said a level 3 guy would call back in 48 to 72 hours with a solution.

It is Friday Feb. 23 and still no call back from level 3. :(

MS does not know what is causing this.

He tried all the solutions above, however, he did not try the rollback to an earlier update.  I may give that a try on my own.  Not much to lose.

Edit: just reverted to earlier version - still no joy.

• Edited by Special Edward Friday, February 23, 2018 4:59 PM info update
    Friday, February 23, 2018 4:41 PM
  • I have same problem... exacly after updated to Version 1801 (Build 9001.2171)

any solution for this problem?

Its really annyoing speding so much time trying all the solution mentions above... none of them works.

PS: I tried reverted to ealier version... STILL NOT WORKING :(

Monday, February 26, 2018 10:48 AM
  • This update not woking either. any other solution?
    Monday, February 26, 2018 10:49 AM
  • Hello.

I've just spent 3 hours searching for solution and none of the suggestions didn't work.

I think I've found some workaround. Try to stop and disable "Windows Search" service.

After that Outlook will show warning about Windows Search is disabled, just ignore it and try to search.

It is working for me. Is it slower but now Outlook at least find stuff.

Regards, Iztok.

• Proposed as answer by tanitri Monday, March 5, 2018 8:36 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by tanitri Monday, March 5, 2018 8:36 AM
    Monday, February 26, 2018 10:14 PM
  • I am to facing many users in my tenant . so I Manually update their outlook version from Version 1708 to Versions 1801  But Issues wasn't resolved and then I rebuild the indexing options to . It also was not solve the issue. 

Friday, March 2, 2018 8:58 AM
  • This option help. it's slow.. but at least work.

Monday, March 5, 2018 8:37 AM
  • Outlook 2016 latest updates.  I just upgraded to new computer so fresh install of Windows 10 and the Office 365 programs.  I desperately need email search for my business.  

I spent 3 hours with level 1 support then transferred to level 2 support on February 16 I ran out of time to troubleshoot with them, no luck.

The level 2 guy called back Sunday Feb 18th morning and I spent 4 hours with him trying everything, no luck.  The call ended with him taking some screenshots to pass on to level 3 support.  He said a level 3 guy would call back in 48 to 72 hours with a solution.

It is Friday Feb. 23 and still no call back from level 3. :(

MS does not know what is causing this.

He tried all the solutions above, however, he did not try the rollback to an earlier update.  I may give that a try on my own.  Not much to lose.

Edit: just reverted to earlier version - still no joy.

Microsoft never called back with a solution as promised.  I guess I need to call them again and start the process.  Really bad not being able to search email.
    Wednesday, March 7, 2018 11:40 PM
  • Just an update on the issue. I found that if I put in a search term, for a client's name for instance, and in the drop down menu select this mailbox, or all mailboxes or current folder or all folders, I will get no results. However, if I select search all Outlook items I get results, but only from 2014 and earlier. So any emails from 2015 onward are not being searched. What is going on?

This worked for 2016 64-bit as well. I just tried it. Thanks! A quicker fix for now.
    Friday, March 9, 2018 6:44 PM
  • Has anyone tried uninstalling outlook and then reinstalling?

I have outlook 2013, I may install that, then upgrade to 2016 with 365.  

Saturday, March 10, 2018 5:36 PM
  • I started having this issue when I upgraded my computer.  Clean install of windows 10 and office 365 so one wouldn't think there would be any issues.

One thing that is different before the upgrade is the pst file location.

Before upgrade PST files were at:

C:\users\me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

With new install, PST files are at:

C:\users\me\OneDrive\Documents\outlook  files\

I am thinking the indexing is looking at the original 'appdata" location and not the new OneDrive location.  This could be why, zero emails ever get indexed.

I think I am going to move my PST files to the original location and point outlook to the changed location of the PST files and see if indexing restarts.

It's a Hail Mary but I think worth a try...  

Saturday, March 10, 2018 6:32 PM
  • It's working again!  

Thank you so much.  

Saturday, March 10, 2018 9:22 PM
  • It's working again!  

Thank you so much.  

What did you do to fix?
    Saturday, March 10, 2018 10:44 PM
  • I cannot get this to work once it breaks.  

Tried repairing/reinstalling office, doesn't help

Tried the process of removing and reinstalling the Windows search feature, doesn't help

Tried changing updates to the Monthly channel, doesn't help

Tried downgrading Office to before the issue in July, doesn't help

Tried moving the physical location of the Windows search database, doesn't help

Edit:  Also tried removing the users Outlook profile and the Outlook folders under appdata, doesn't help

Monday, March 19, 2018 3:49 PM
  • After some digging, it looks like one of the updates removes the AppData\Local folder from the Windows 10 Index.  After I added the location of my e-mail Datastore, I started getting current results in my outlook search almost immediately.

1)  In Outlook verify the location of your main Outlook file.  This is under File > Info >Account Settings > Data Files.  The name with the check mark should be your primary.  Look for that patch.  Mine was

C:\users\<username>AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\<myfile>.ost

2)  Then in Window Search, locate "Indexing Options"

3)  Click "Modify"

4)  Under "Change selected locations" expand the C: to find the same path to where your OST or PST is located. and add the check mark on that folder.  I added "C:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook"

After I did that, my search results started showing up immediately in outlook.  It turns out that the location of my e-mail datastore was no longer included in the index, which is why I was only finding older e-mails in my results.

If the AppData folder is not showing up in the Index locations, you may have to set explorer to show hidden folders.  (Open your C:\ drive, click the view tab at the top and tick 'hidden items'
    • Proposed as answer by twidget64 Monday, March 19, 2018 6:36 PM
    • Edited by twidget64 Friday, March 23, 2018 7:15 PM added note for hidden folders
    Monday, March 19, 2018 6:36 PM
  • After some digging, it looks like one of the updates removes the AppData\Local folder from the Windows 10 Index.  After I added the location of my e-mail Datastore, I started getting current results in my outlook search almost immediately.

1)  In Outlook verify the location of your main Outlook file.  This is under File > Info >Account Settings > Data Files.  The name with the check mark should be your primary.  Look for that patch.  Mine was

3)  Click "Modify"

4)  Under "Change selected locations" expand the C: to find the same path to where your OST or PST is located. and add the check mark on that folder.  I added "C:\users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook"

After I did that, my search results started showing up immediately in outlook.  It turns out that the location of my e-mail datastore was no longer included in the index, which is why I was only finding older e-mails in my results.

If the AppData folder is not showing up in the Index locations, you may have to set explorer to show hidden folders.  (Open your C:\ drive, click the view tab at the top and tick 'hidden items'

My Outlook data folder was already selected C:\users\me\OneDrive\Documents\outlook  files\  So this doesn't work for me.

I called MS support back, told them no one ever called me back, they said we see your ticket and will have someone call you in 5 minutes.  2 days later, no call :(

Saturday, March 24, 2018 4:42 PM
  • My entire office is having the same issues but with Outlook 2010.  It seems like since the March patches that WSUS pushed out no one can search correctly.  If they search it pulls emails from a year ago and they have to wait sometimes 10 minutes to get latest emails.  The only work around is an advanced find.  I have rebuilt about 20 machines search edb file but that didn't fix it either.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2018 4:18 PM

3)  Click "Modify"

So, interestingly enough my \AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook folder was deselected also - and this is where some of my data files are located. I modified the selections to include that folder but in my Indexing Options window in the exclude column it shows ProgramData; AppData; Windows even after I selected it and it shows selected.

Thought for sure that would fix it - obviously not since I'm here still searching for a solution.

What's even more interesting, if I go to the advanced section and select show all locations, the \AppData directory isn't even listed...but it still says it is excluded.

• Edited by SoarX Sunday, April 8, 2018 2:54 AM
    Sunday, April 8, 2018 2:34 AM
  • same for me. I tried to add the outlook folder under appdata but no effect.

Outlook Version 1804

Regards
    Daniel Saager
    http://www.appliedtechnologies.de dsaager@appliedtechnologies.de
    please mark the post accordingly :-)

Monday, April 16, 2018 2:50 PM
  • My search doesn't result anything at all - it doesn't even search. I tried all the options described here but nothing worked. However I didn't manage to return to a previous build (mine is 9226...) - I only get some network problem error from MS. So I'm also waiting for a new approach, thanks for any advice.

Win 10, Office 365 32 bit

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 8:44 AM
  • I have a similar problem with my searches in Outlook 2007 and I think it's since the latest major windows 10 update.

If I search my inbox I get some results but if I switch to 'search all mail items' I get no results at all.

I can't see a 'conversation view" in 2007 so I haven't been able to try that.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 12:41 PM
  • This is freaking ridiculous. None of the hacks above work. I'm seriously faced with having to try Thunderbird. Bye Outlook!
    Tuesday, May 8, 2018 2:31 AM
  • We are having this same problem.  We have rebuilt the indexes, changed to conversation mode, uninstalled and reinstalled office, turned off windows search, and still no search ability in Outlook.

Seriously, this has been a problem since January and no fix?  Not cool.

Searching in Outlook is a daily task.  Not having the ability to search is causing high distress!

When will this be fixed?

Thursday, May 10, 2018 7:59 PM
  • This is ridiculous.

We have the same issue on desktop PCs, laptops, and three terminal servers with around 250 employees on Outlook 2007 who can't search anything past 2015.

We need a fix ASAP, MS.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 3:22 PM
  • This’s how I resolved this issue within our organization.

1) Run Outlook to download the latest emails form your email server & then close Outlook.

2) Make a copy of your PST file & move it to another location on your local computer’s hard drive, if it isn’t   already on your local hard drive.

3) Repair your PST file by running the ScanPST Repair Tool that’s located within the office programs folder. This process doesn’t work very well over a network, especially when dealing with large PST files & this’s why I recommend working with a copy on the local computer’s hard drive.  

4) Copy the repaired PST file back to it’s original location, run Outlook & using the Import & Export Wizard, Select Export to a file & choose “Outlook Data File (.pst)”. Just use the default name provided & save the file to your local hard drive.

5) Copy the newly created exported file to the original location of your PST file & rename it to the same name as your original PST file, after you’ve modified the name of the original one.

6) Delete all emails from your email server’s “Inbox”, otherwise all emails will be re-downloaded again even if their already in your PST file!

7)The next step is to force Outlook to re-index all the emails located in your newly created PST file. To do this Run Outlook & go to Options, Search, Indexing Options. Make sure Outlook is included in the indexing location, then click on Advanced, Rebuild. Click OK once & stay on the Indexing Window until the rebuild process has completed. At this point Outlook hasn’t really finished the indexing of all emails, you can verify this by going to Search Tools & selecting “Indexing Status”. Once this Indexing has completed, your search should be fully functional once again.

One thing to note is that now your email address autocomplete will no longer function, you will need to create a new email autocomplete file by manually entering an email address in to a new email & then send it. Then close & reopen Outlook, verify that the new email address you just used is in the newly created autocomplete file & then close Outlook. Now copy the name of the newly created autocomplete file to the original one & you’re done.

• Edited by RKYK Thursday, June 7, 2018 2:29 PM
    Thursday, June 7, 2018 12:18 AM
  • Tried all this stuff and no luck.

I repaired with the built in file repair and also tried a 3rd party file repair.  

It would be great if MS would address this issue.
    Sunday, June 24, 2018 11:39 PM
  • I found this thread because of the same issue.  My resolution was to turn off "Show text suggestions as i type" in the Hardware keyboard settings.  Restarted computer, and now I can finally use the Search Current Mailbox bar in Outlook.

Seems that Text Suggestions as a pop-up when typing breaks the Search function.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 5:01 PM
  • good day i agree MS is really loosing the plot, too big and ready for a crash 

did you fix,

thinking need to move to apple 

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 5:58 PM
  • MS doesnt care
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 5:59 PM
  • MS doesnt care

You're spot on Alan,

... and if I understand correctly this is called death by outsourcing.

The developers now "supporting" Outlook seems to have their head up somewhere, and sadly to say it seems to get ever worse by the day.

I seriously need to find an alternative to using Outlook, not being able to search your emails is simply unbearable.

Friday, July 6, 2018 2:28 AM
  • My search has been broken since February.  Spent hours with support and tried everything in this thread.  No joy.

I get 50+ emails a day.  I get a lot of emails from many customers and often I need to find an old email to see exactly what we talked about.  Over the past 6 months I often end up killing an hour or so trying to find an email that should take less than a minute to find with working search.

Today I had to find an old email, I spend about 30 minutes searching with no luck, then I tried search for kicks and it was working, not great, slowly, but I started getting results and found the email I needed.  It seems like all the emails under a search do not show up and I get some emails that don't have the keyword I searched on but better than nothing.

Now when searching in Outlook I get a message:  "Search performance will be impacted because of a problem with how Outlook search is configured."  - I never got this message when search was 100% broken.

So I just when to File / Options / search / Indexing Options to see my search configuration.  

Now indexing options is greyed out and I have another selection called " Search Engine Upgrade" and a button "Upgrade Search"

Now that search is somewhat working I am hesitating to Upgrade Search.  I fear I will have no search ability again if I do this upgrade.   Until I hear this will fix Outlook search 100% I will not upgrade.

Anyone else get the search upgrade option?

Saturday, August 4, 2018 5:04 PM
  • I did a search on  "Search performance will be impacted because of a problem with how Outlook search is configured."  and found this solution that worked for some people:

1. Press Windows Button+R

2. Type "services.msc" in the search box (without the inverted commas)

3. Hit Enter

4. Scroll Down to find "Windows Service"

5. Right Click on "Windows Search"

6. Click "Properties"

7. Go to the second tab from left "Log On" tab

8. Check the "Allow service to interact with desktop"

9. Apply

Saturday, August 4, 2018 5:48 PM
  • So I just when to File / Options / search / Indexing Options to see my search configuration.  

Now indexing options is greyed out and I have another selection called " Search Engine Upgrade" and a button "Upgrade Search"

I decided to take a chance and clicked "Upgrade Search" - I get page not found.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=23

I think Microsoft is going downhill fast.  Now they charge monthly for Office 365 and they refuse to fix Outlook 365 search.  SAD

Saturday, August 4, 2018 8:30 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem described by this post (search doesn't work properly, I click "upgrade search", and I get a "page not found"). Support seems completely unable to fix it, and the last thing they told me, a few weeks ago, was that it was a bug that they are working on. But, I got an update and it was not fixed. Support has gone silent and I'v heard nothing. Did you ever get this fixed?

I have tried so many things. I even completely wiped Outlook and Office from my machine, and reinstalled. The problem appears immediately. 

• Edited by RobGC Monday, August 20, 2018 5:03 PM
    Monday, August 20, 2018 5:00 PM
  • It would appear that Microsoft has taken time off from fixing much of anything these days during normal working hours. However they are spending their time looking into pet projects. It would appear that the Microsoft Garage team has been working on a program called Email Insights that deals with Outlook search. I guess just like at home, when things at work head south and there doesn't seem like there is light at the end of the tunnel, you head to the garage and start finding things to do to keep your sanity. The page for the project is below. I've tried this program, but it doesn't appear to work with our on premise Exchange environment. When you fire it up it appears to search for an online Microsoft account and there are no apparent settings to manually configure it for a specific account type. I'm hoping that a third party company comes along and develops something to fix the ongoing Outlook search problem, since Microsoft doesn't appear to be able to fix it themselves.   

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/garage/profiles/email-insights/

• Edited by BCS-MAN Tuesday, August 28, 2018 7:58 PM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2018 7:56 PM
  • I cannot get this to work once it breaks.  

Tried repairing/reinstalling office, doesn't help

Tried the process of removing and reinstalling the Windows search feature, doesn't help

Tried changing updates to the Monthly channel, doesn't help

Tried downgrading Office to before the issue in July, doesn't help

Tried moving the physical location of the Windows search database, doesn't help

Edit:  Also tried removing the users Outlook profile and the Outlook folders under appdata, doesn't help

Sung to the tune of "Shaggy - It Wasn't Me" Lol! Sorry I couldn't help myself.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2018 8:02 PM
  • Same issue, tried all of the proposed solutions - nothing helped.

Also, "Rebuild index" feature didn't do anything for me

Here is what helped:

I removed Outlook from the indexing options, locations (I intended to remove it and add it back, and forgot to add it back). Several hours later, after restarting my laptop, search started to work in outlook! It now gives me a small message that "search couldn't be completed", BUT it pulls all the results! Go figure...

It is probably searching without indexes in outlook now and it probably takes longer, but i have an SSD drive and on most searches that I tried results are almost instant. And most importantly it doesn't miss anything!

Wednesday, August 29, 2018 3:33 AM
  • I was doing the exact same thing and removing Outlook from the index in control panel. This seemed to work for a while, but after a few days I noticed that searching was still hit or miss even without it going to the index. I could however tell Outlook to search the current folder instead of the current mailbox and get better results. The only thing is that sometimes you just don't know what folder the item is in that your looking for???

Having an email client that can't do a reliable search is just about useless. I feel like we've gone back to the infancy of email technology when it was nothing more than a simple text sending application. Maybe we've finally gotten to the point of feature bloat where we're expecting to much from our software and it can no longer deliver, or the code has gotten so big and complex that the developers can no longer understand how their particular module impacts the operation of other modules and functions in the overall application.   

• Edited by BCS-MAN Wednesday, August 29, 2018 3:58 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2018 3:45 PM
  • I've noted something new yesterday in regards to Windows 10. I had a user that was experiencing odd mouse behavior. The mouse would lag badly, but only in the Windows 10 file explorer window. Other application windows did not exhibit this same behavior. To correct this, I tried updating the mouse drivers. After updating the mouse drivers the mouse started exhibiting worse behavior and would send a left click signal to the operating system about every second while the mouse was in motion. This behavior was evident across all application Windows and was not restricted to the Windows file explorer.

While looking at the file explorer window, I noted that the user had their preview pane activated, which is not normal across our user base. I turned the file preview pane off and the mouse started working normally again. It's now been about 18 hours since the original issue was reported and so far the mouse has not exhibited the bad behavior. I've told the user to keep the preview pane turned off until I've heard reports from Microsoft that they have resolved the issue.

The reason I'm posting this here is because I saw one related fix online for this issue that said one user had added all of their local hard drives to the Windows search index and after the index was complete it made their mouse lag go away with the preview pane open. This leads me to believe that a lot of Windows little quirky issues can be attributed to the Windows Search service. I believe that this service is prone to continual corruption and until Microsoft makes an attempt to nail down the real issues with this service, we will not see resolution to these problems that are plaguing the Windows 10 operating system and our searching in Outlook.          

• Edited by BCS-MAN Thursday, August 30, 2018 1:36 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2018 1:33 PM
  • I may have come up with a solution to alleviate the search problem. When I changed the settings below in Outlook 2016, it seemed to produce better results when Outlook indexing was enabled with Windows Search Service.

The settings can be found in Outlook 2016 when you click into the search box and go to the Search tab at the top. Under the Search tab Click the Search Tools button and select Search Options. Make sure the following settings are turned off.

- Include messages from the Deleted items folder in each data file when searching in All Items

- When possible, display results as the query it typed

- Improve search speed by limiting the number of results shown

Hopefully this helps someone, it seems to be working for me at the moment.

• Edited by BCS-MAN Thursday, August 30, 2018 7:26 PM
    Thursday, August 30, 2018 7:25 PM
  • This is still happening for me.  Even in the Office 365 Outlook Web App!  I did a search for emails with specific keywords and the results stopped a few months back.  Then I closed the search results and manually scrolled through my emails and found TONS of emails from farther back than the search displays.  I can't believe this is a real issue.  What is the point of having search??
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:21 PM
  • I'm having this exact issue.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2018 9:46 PM
  • Hello.

I've just spent 3 hours searching for solution and none of the suggestions didn't work.

I think I've found some workaround. Try to stop and disable "Windows Search" service.

After that Outlook will show warning about Windows Search is disabled, just ignore it and try to search.

It is working for me. Is it slower but now Outlook at least find stuff.

Regards, Iztok.

yes it works for me.  Disable "Windows search" after running  "MSC".   it is slow but it works . Thanks
    Wednesday, November 28, 2018 10:24 AM
  • Tools-> Instant Search-> Search Optios

Remove all tick marks ->OK

it works fine
    Monday, December 10, 2018 11:38 AM
  • Take a look at - https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2178750-outlook-search-not-working-after-windows-update - specifically the registry entry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
    "PreventIndexingOutlook"=dword:00000001

This helped for me on two Server 2016 with Outlook 2010 and 2016 and online mode Exchange.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 6:53 PM