none
Secure Windows 10 machine with allowing a hard disk to open on a specifc machine. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a task to secure my windows 10 machines for users located remotely(standalone users). I want an option to pair a external hard disk to a windows 10 Laptop, so that the paired hard disk can not open on any other machine other then the paired device.

Any help will really be helpful.

Regards,

Ankit

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 7:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Ankit,

To my knowledge, pair unlock mechanism is based on external drive itself configuration rather than Windows system feature, Windows just detects external drive by its driver, if driver doesn’t include pair method or encrypt method, any Windows system can recognize it normally.

What I can think of is using BitLocker to encryption this external drive, then save the password and recovery key on your specific laptop, because other computer doesn’t have unlock credential, user can’t use this external drive, only when this drive inserts on the laptop, user find credential on this laptop, then they can access to this external drive.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 1:44 AM