none
Can I make my Admin PC as Server ?and avoid setting actual server

Question

• Can I make my Admin PC (Win8) as Server to use Admin rights and policies for remote N computers (Win7) and avoid setting actual server for the same work ?(considering actual Servers to be expensive).

I am running a Business where half of the work is in cloud. I would just require a common point to set policies and store softwares and few bulk data.

My C drive is 450GB and I can easily use 300GB for this, plus another CPU if required which will have another 400GB if needed.

So is Server mandatory for running a business like this? Or can I make my PC as server and work on it like we do on an actual server?

Thursday, March 05, 2015 1:29 PM

Answers

• if you beef up the workstation with enough resources for your needs and have a valid windows server license go right ahead. 
    Friday, March 06, 2015 8:29 PM

All replies

• Hello,

"Can I make my Admin PC (Win8) as Server to use Admin rights and policies for remote N computers (Win7) and avoid setting actual server for the same work ?"

NO. Windows 8.1 is client OS and NOT a Windows Server OS, this requires Windows Server 2008 and higher if you will run a supported OS version.

please stick to one thread for the same problem. See answers in https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/5fe22170-f1c4-4354-96cb-62cb426d4658/how-to-set-up-group-policy-without-any-server-installed?forum=winserverGP

Best regards

Meinolf Weber

MVP, MCP, MCTS

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

My Blog: http://blogs.msmvps.com/MWeber

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Twitter:  

Thursday, March 05, 2015 1:53 PM
  • (considering actual Servers to be expensive).

Physical servers are expensive but the operating system can be installed on a normal desktop if your only going to be performing fairly routine work that does not require a lot of power.
    Friday, March 06, 2015 3:15 PM
  • if you beef up the workstation with enough resources for your needs and have a valid windows server license go right ahead. 
    Friday, March 06, 2015 8:29 PM
  • So, you mean other than win8.1 license that I have on my desktop, I have to purchase server license (eg: win server 2008 or 2003 OS license) and re-install that on my desktop? (if i have enough resources for my needs)
    Sunday, March 08, 2015 6:04 AM
  • ok..so what are the steps..
    Sunday, March 08, 2015 6:04 AM
  • Yes you have to install a server operating system on you "PC" note server 2003 is unsupported as of April I believe so avoid that. Steps are burn an ISO to usb or disc boot from usb or disc and install its very straight fwd and there's a wealth of info on how to install via Google
    Sunday, March 08, 2015 9:15 AM