none
Replica is inconsistent RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

DPM fully supports backing up encrypted files, but if you are using a CA in the domain, and you don't have that policy enabled, then you will see the same access denied 0x80070005 error you are seeing in the failedfileslog.txt.

I would start by looking at those effected files and see if they are encrypted or not.  If not encrypted, then the policy not applicable to your problem.   Another thought is you can download process monitor from www.sysinternals.com - then monitor file i/o while a backup is in progress and find out what other process may have a handle open to them.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:17 PM
  • Hi,

Only two possible reasons come to mind.

1) Your anti-virus has an exclusive handle open to the files at the time we try to back them up.
    2) The files are NTFS encrypted and you don't have the GP "Allow EFS to generate Self-Signed certificate when a Certificate Authority is not available” checked.

With a certificate CA enabled in the domain, and the Group Policy “Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security settings\Public Key Policies\Encrypting File System" Properties -> Certificates ->Allow EFS to generate Self-Signed certificate when a Certificate Authority is not available” is unchecked - then DPM can backup NON-EFS files without issues but DPM does NOT backup encrypted files.

Please let us know what you find. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Only two possible reasons come to mind.

1) Your anti-virus has an exclusive handle open to the files at the time we try to back them up.
    2) The files are NTFS encrypted and you don't have the GP "Allow EFS to generate Self-Signed certificate when a Certificate Authority is not available” checked.

With a certificate CA enabled in the domain, and the Group Policy “Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security settings\Public Key Policies\Encrypting File System" Properties -> Certificates ->Allow EFS to generate Self-Signed certificate when a Certificate Authority is not available” is unchecked - then DPM can backup NON-EFS files without issues but DPM does NOT backup encrypted files.

Please let us know what you find. 

Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:54 PM
  • On the GP settings, I only have the choice of "Allow users to encrypt files using EFS". It is enabled right now. I only have the choice to enable or disable this setting. The setting you mentioned above is not available.

To clarify....when you state that DPM does NOT backup encrupted files, is that with the change in the setting you recomended or is that a DPM limitation no matter what setting?

I am investigating how the anti-virus operates now. It just seems strange that only these cookies are being blocked. I am checking on that now however.

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:13 PM
  • Hi,

DPM fully supports backing up encrypted files, but if you are using a CA in the domain, and you don't have that policy enabled, then you will see the same access denied 0x80070005 error you are seeing in the failedfileslog.txt.

I would start by looking at those effected files and see if they are encrypted or not.  If not encrypted, then the policy not applicable to your problem.   Another thought is you can download process monitor from www.sysinternals.com - then monitor file i/o while a backup is in progress and find out what other process may have a handle open to them.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 11:17 PM