There is no solution for deploying sccm packages at logoff/shutdown like the Windows updates installations ? RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know if my question is clear, but i feel i'm not the only one with the same issue.

The users of my company almost never leave their machines unlogged, they either shutdown or reboot... Which makes mandatory deployments that require no user logged on really hard to use

Changing their habits is out of the way...

The mandatory schedule "At logoff" is nice, but the time gap where the users aren't logged on is really short...

I've been thinking of using active setup, but i'm not really convinced (and i'm currently reading the doc about this, i admit :) )

Any advices/ideas ?

Best regards,

Jeff

EDIT : i forgot to add that using SCUP is out of question , my client wants WSUS only
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:33 PM

Answers

• SJM - sorry that none of the workarounds is acceptable for you. You are free to put in a feature request via the Connect website. 2012 will not address the issue you mention.
    Monday, August 27, 2012 10:19 PM

All replies

• "mandatory deployments that require no user logged on"

Can you please describe one of these? Why do they require no user logged on?

When you say "active setup" do you mean using Active Directory Group Policies and Intellimirror?

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | Twitter @JasonSandys

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 2:44 PM
  • i need to install java or flash update (for ex) without users beeing logged on to be sure no interaction with a browser is done, and as said before these Desktop pcs almost always have a user logged on

my emphasis is axed on the fact that i want minimum user impact, deploying a software with condition "install only when no user is logged on" takes ages ...

active setup :

http://www.appdeploy.com/articles/activesetup.asp

lets you "complete" msi installation in user context to get the user-session files, without the user being admin (for ex : keys in HKCU, files in %userprofile%) (mmmh dunno if that's clear)

a packager colleague told me that one can use active setup at first logoff too, not only first logon, but i don't have more info yet, but this workaround is not interesting for me as i need installation per-machine not per-user

EDIT : i forgot to add that using SCUP is out of question , my client wants WSUS only

• Edited by SuperJaegerMaster Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:14 PM i'm hungry... and my sugar level is low
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:09 PM
  • If you need to deploy applications while no user is logged on, and you cant arrange with users to leave computers on, then I'd suggest you look at WOL and Maintance Windows.

That being said, there are very few applications (if any) that I've found that require this setting, even those that you've stated have had no impact on the user during deployment in my enrionments.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:35 AM
  • unless i'm wrong WOL and maintenance windows won't let me install at logoff ?

my users reboot their pc from time to time, and the rest of the tîme the pcs are powered on and logged, plus they access to their pcs overnight

so the best time frame is that reboot. Ideally it would be like this :

- the user restarts or logs off 

- installations run during the logoff process BUT the ctrl+alt+del is not available until sccm deployments are finished (just like when you install the windows update)

I gave the example of java or flash, but i have some softwares to deploy where i want no user session running to minimize the issues , i can't cut on that point

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 10:02 AM
  • Sounds like a nasty situation which would almost require you to use Software Installation through Group Policy, but that is really a step back in time if you are already using SCCM.  Your situation isn't unique... almost every IT pro has had the discussion with the business about scheduled downtime means less unscheduled downtime...

My Microsoft Core Infrastructure & Systems Management blog - blog.danovich.com.au

Thursday, February 23, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Thx for your reply,

well the best way of doing i have found is using schedule "install at logon" but i've observed that on many clients the installations are triggered 3-4mns after user has logged on... so i'm sticking with that option

is this feature planned to be in sccm 2012 ?

Friday, February 24, 2012 9:55 AM
  • No, but the length of time that execution takes to begin has been worked on and may be better in your environment - depending on a number of factors (hardware being #1).

Your best bet in this situation I think would be to write / leverage a custom installer that gives feedback to the user to close programs you want closed within X amount of time, then force them closed and proceed.

Friday, February 24, 2012 2:32 PM
  • No other ideas ?
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:54 AM
  • We use "at logon" and ASAP.  this way it attempts to install Flash, if it failes then the next time it tries it at logon.  These applications (flash, etc) are are to install and can be installed before the user runs the IE.

As a 3rd option set it as a mandatory install at 3AM then if IE is closed it will installed, else it will fail.  The problem is that you have to work around all the schedules so you need to make the mandatory schedule have multiple deployments, not just 1.

http://www.sccm-tools.com http://sms-hints-tricks.blogspot.com

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:33 PM
  • i'm coming back with this issue, i need to install a software @ logoff/shutdown  because it is not acceptable:

sccm will not suspend the the logoff process so that the advertisement can run, which is
    different from say the group policy user logoff script which does prevent the
    logout from finishing .

Then why make this option available ? : 

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Is it a terribly useful option? That depends. It is certainly valid if the program is run with Admin privileges (local SYSTEM) and the user is not restarting the system and is simply performing a logoff. If they actually reboot the system, then this option is pretty useless and if the program is configured to run as the user, then there could also be problems (can't say I've ever tried so I'll take your word for it that it doesn't delay the logoff).

Could it be improved? Probably. I encourage you to file a DCR (Design Change Request) on the connect site to relay your concerns and expected behavior to the product team.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | Twitter @JasonSandys

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:46 PM
  • i'm running an advertisement which needs no user logged on, with admin privileges. It then needs the workstation to be restarted either way (so installing after a logoff and preventing relogging or installing and then restarting/shutdown would keep the process smooth)

th idea here is to keep user-impact at 0 , and let them do the reboot when they want without having

i already encountered the issue with our office 2010 deployment, even with the "no user logged on" requirement if the user did a shutdown/reboot by mistake instead of logoff , the time frame where the session is closing, sccm would trigger the install, and windows would continue shutting down , killing all processes => fail

Anyway

the point here is making software advertisement at any kind of loggoff mandatory and fail-free (just like the Windows Updates) , doing otherwise is out of option for me

i'll have a look at a DCR but this is just a bit disappointing... is SCUP capable of doing this ? SCCM 2012 ?

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 2:49 PM
  • I deploy Flash/Java updates to around 5000 systems. Since most users never log off I wrote a VBScript that would check to see if browsers where running (If they were I would loop until they were closed then install updates. If you try to perform Flash/Java updates while browsers are open it will corrupt it in many cases). I would set a time limit on the program in case the user doesn't close their browsers for a long time it would kill the program. This was the best solution for me for deploying these type of updates.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:08 PM
  • I deploy Flash/Java updates to around 5000 systems. Since most users never log off I wrote a VBScript that would check to see if browsers where running (If they were I would loop until they were closed then install updates. If you try to perform Flash/Java updates while browsers are open it will corrupt it in many cases). I would set a time limit on the program in case the user doesn't close their browsers for a long time it would kill the program. This was the best solution for me for deploying these type of updates.

thank you for this idea, but this is just bypassing the problem or doing a "sketchy" workaround

again, as said prviously above :

the point here is making software advertisement at any kind of loggoff mandatory and fail-free (just like the Windows Updates) , doing otherwise is out of option for me

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:54 AM
  • SJM - sorry that none of the workarounds is acceptable for you. You are free to put in a feature request via the Connect website. 2012 will not address the issue you mention.
    Monday, August 27, 2012 10:19 PM