none
Disk Allocation RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I've added a disk to my DPM server using iSCSI prepared it using disk management console, added the disk to my DPM Storage pool but i cant seem to use it, its like the disk is used up. please advice.

Meshack

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 12:07 PM

Answers

• I've finally gotten it, i didn't need to format and allocate the disk to the local server. once i initialized the disk from disk management console from there you add the disk to the storage pool it works

Meshack

• Edited by Meshack KE Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:19 PM
    • Proposed as answer by EugeneLeitanMVP Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Meshack KE Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:56 AM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:19 PM

All replies

• I've finally gotten it, i didn't need to format and allocate the disk to the local server. once i initialized the disk from disk management console from there you add the disk to the storage pool it works

Meshack

• Edited by Meshack KE Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:19 PM
    • Proposed as answer by EugeneLeitanMVP Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:54 AM
    • Marked as answer by Meshack KE Thursday, February 20, 2014 7:56 AM
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 1:19 PM
  • As described by yourself, you only need to Initalize the disk to be able to add the disk to the storage pool.
    In fact, creating a volume on the disk renders it unusable by DPM.

Snipped from TechNet for you to follow as guideline when adding disks to the storage pool:

"When you add a disk to the storage pool, DPM uses the available free space on the disk and does not delete any data that is already on the disk. If there are existing volumes on the disk that have free space, DPM cannot use that space for the storage pool. DPM can use only space in the volumes that it creates. If you want to make the entire disk space available to the storage pool, you must delete any existing volumes on the disk before adding it to the storage pool."

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh758075.aspx

Kind regards,
    Tobias

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 2:49 PM