none
I.E. 11 will not remember passwords even though the option is turned on RRS feed

• Question

• I'm wondering who can answer this.

I.E. 11 will not remember passwords even though the option is turned on.  This happens only on a few Windows 10 computers with I.E. 11 (but not all win 10 computers in our domain though).

I've verified that this happens to multiple accounts on the same computer.

I've also went into tools->internet options->content->autocomplete and ensured that the options are turned on.

I've also uninstalled and re-installed IE, but the issue still persists.

I'm starting to think that there's a corrupt file or registry entry somewhere that may be causing issues, or it's some kind of security permissions issue that's preventing windows from writing to certain files or registry entries.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 3:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It depends on how a website has been programmed or which other form-filling or password manager addons you have installed. eg. banking websites do not allow clients to store passwords.

Regards.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 9:38 PM
  • Most Win 10 IE 11 computers in the domain work fine for the same site. But you certainly do raise a good point though.

I will check out http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us.  Thanks for the suggestion :)

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 1:54 PM
  • Hi Anthony,

include a link to your problem website with your question if you can. We need this minimal information to investigate your questions. If its an internal company website, mention as such. We have no control over how web sites are programmed, but we can have a look see to check them out.

You can test if a third-party addon (form filling addon) is stopping the built-in IE form/password autocomplete settings from working by running IE in noAddons mode or InPrivate mode.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 9:23 PM
  • Have you tried looking at Credential Manager (Control Panel). 

You should have the ability to enter credentials for local network resources along with web sites.

JM

Thursday, August 9, 2018 5:02 PM
  • @Jose,

I believe Anthonys question is about an intranet site, that is using Windows Authentication.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Sunday, August 12, 2018 7:41 PM
  • So why wouldn't this work:

JM

• Edited by JoseMR Monday, August 13, 2018 9:41 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2018 9:39 PM
  • because intranet sites are not public websites. access can be restricted to only authorized domain users. their passwords and usernames are not stored in local machine caches(be it Windows or third-party password managers.)

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

Rob^_^

Wednesday, August 15, 2018 1:59 AM