none
Bitlocker encryption is not responding when unlock key is entered

Question

• HI all

Im desperate, my Iomega 1tb external hdd has been encrypted and somehow windows autolocked it , now whenever the drive is installed freezes up, and if it passes to the part of the password key, bitlocker stops responding all together. I have tried connecting and disconnecting several times but its always the same thing, Bitlocker encryption drive stops responding

please assist me here

thanks

Sunday, June 27, 2010 9:50 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

To troubleshoot the issue, I suggest you restart the machine in Safe Mode and plug the external encrypted drive on the machine, and then type the password key again. Does the window freeze up now? If not, please restart the machine in Normal Mode and perform a Clean Boot to check the result.

Otherwise, I suggest you plug the drive on another Windows 7 machine and unlock it. Does the issue persist? If not, please run a Check Disk and move the drive back to the original machine.

Thanks,

Novak

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, July 5, 2010 1:39 AM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:03 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

To troubleshoot the issue, I suggest you restart the machine in Safe Mode and plug the external encrypted drive on the machine, and then type the password key again. Does the window freeze up now? If not, please restart the machine in Normal Mode and perform a Clean Boot to check the result.

Otherwise, I suggest you plug the drive on another Windows 7 machine and unlock it. Does the issue persist? If not, please run a Check Disk and move the drive back to the original machine.

Thanks,

Novak

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, July 5, 2010 1:39 AM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:03 AM
  • Thank you so much for your assistance, yet I tried to access and decrypt the drive while in SafeBoot and goes unresponsive just as on normal boot. I have no other machine running on Windows 7, just Ubuntu and XP. Any other suggestions?

i appreciate your help

thank you once again...please give me any other alternative

thanks

Monday, July 12, 2010 8:26 PM
  • I know I am posting to an old thread. But since I spent several days on this issue and finally got a proper solution, thought of posting it here.

I faced the same issue with my 1 TB HDD.

Problem was due to Disk Queuing and 100% activity time in disk access. You can verify this with Task Manager -> Performance->Disk->Storage tab. So my ordinary  Gigabyte motherboard ( could not handle the BitLocker IO. I ran the  pc for few days but it did not unlock for me.

So I took the HDD to another high end server  in another facility and it just worked:)

Decrypted the entire data in an hour!!.

So check if you are facing disk queuing IO issue. If so, you need to connect this to a better hardware.

Friday, March 30, 2012 7:21 AM
  • Thomas, i am having similar BitLocker trouble and have posted a detailed query here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/01e018ac-aba3-4b3b-adf0-8618caf1ece7/trying-to-unlock-bitlocker-encrypted-drive-for-first-time-wont-open-not-responding?forum=w7itprosecurity#01e018ac-aba3-4b3b-adf0-8618caf1ece7

My query to you is how do i know if this may be because of the disk queuing issue or not? i see 94, 294, 440, 560 KB/sec Disk I/O (keeps varying every second) and 100% Highest Activity Time as a  constant in the resource monitor section. I am not sure how to read this, to understand if i have a disk queuing issue or not. My laptop is very old and has a variety of problems, btw. High page file use, slow CPU etc. etc.

Can you please help? Do read my query too if you can. Anyone else here reading me - please help.

Saturday, October 3, 2015 7:36 PM