Slow Laptop Win 7 64 Bit RRS feed

• Question

• I posted this as a response to another discussion but thought it would be better posted as a new discussion thread.

I am experiencing a problem with Win 7 64 bit professional on a Toshiba laptop .  I am able to get the logon window and can log on successfully. The desktop looks correct but when I attempt to start a program it appears as if nothing is happening. 

To test this I attempted to start Freecell and it actually did start finally but it took about 7 minutes from the time I clicked on the icon until it started.  During this time the hard drive light blinks from time to time. 

I went to the Start button and attempted to run control panel but the same thing happened.  I never did get control panel to come up on the screen. 

I also pressed Ctrl+alt+Delete to see if I could start task manager.  After a while the screen went black, and after several minutes I got a message that the task manager could not be started at that time. 

I have run full antivirus scans and found nothing.  This is a new laptop with the I7 processor and 6 gb of memory.  It is a Toshiba laptop and when I spoke with their support group, I was told to re-install Windows 7 from the recovery DVD's.  This doesn't seem like a solution based on what I saw but I suppose it is an easy way to get out of something they don't understand. 

I am still in the process of trying to figure this out and I have removed most of the software I installed and ran without Virus scan to see if that might be the problem, it wasn't.

The Laptop came with Win7 Home Premium 64 bit and I upgraded to Win7 pro after getting the laptop.

I usually can get it to work when I do a forced shutdown (power button) and restart.  Sometimes it requires rebooting in safe mode and then restarting the system.   The problem usually, but not always,  occurs after I close the cover on the laptop and open it at a later time. 

Greg

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:15 AM

Answers

• I followed some suggestions and did a system recovery back to the original configuration.  I then applied updates and played around with the sleep and hibernate modes and did not have a problem. 

I then did the upgrade to Professional and still do not see a problem.  My next step is to install additional software and test these functions after each install. 

Hopefully I don't see the problem again, but if I do, that should get me closer to the cause. 

Greg

• Marked as answer by Goreilly Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:40 PM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 4:39 PM