Error: Cannot get event data (Missing IIS manager?) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After adding WSUS as a role on one of my Server 2012 the server manager (on my win8 machine) keeps giving me the warning "Cannot get event data".
    "Events from WebServer.Events.xml could not be enumerated"

It seems like it cannot read the data provided by the IIS role. (the event display for IIS is empty)
    Maybe it has something to do with there not being any IIS mmc plugin. (contrary to for example wsus)

Anyone else having this issue? Is there even an IIS mmc plugin?

Thanks

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 10:07 PM

Answers

• Hello,

So, you are managing a Windows 2012 Server remotely from a Windows 8 workstation with RSAT?

I don't have a Windows 8 to test for you. You may follow the below to check if IIS MMC is installed and enabled on your Windows 8 RSAT.

1.In the Windows Features dialog box, expand Remote Server Administration Tools, and then expand either Role Administration Tools or Feature Administration Tools.
    2. See if you can see IIS and select it. Click OK, and then close Control Panel.

For Windows Server 2012 remote management queries, you can ask in Windows Server 8 Beta Setup forum

Thanks
    Zhang

Friday, September 21, 2012 7:27 AM

All replies

• Hello,

So, you are managing a Windows 2012 Server remotely from a Windows 8 workstation with RSAT?

I don't have a Windows 8 to test for you. You may follow the below to check if IIS MMC is installed and enabled on your Windows 8 RSAT.

1.In the Windows Features dialog box, expand Remote Server Administration Tools, and then expand either Role Administration Tools or Feature Administration Tools.
    2. See if you can see IIS and select it. Click OK, and then close Control Panel.

For Windows Server 2012 remote management queries, you can ask in Windows Server 8 Beta Setup forum

Thanks
    Zhang

Friday, September 21, 2012 7:27 AM
  • Please excuse the late post, but I found this page earlier while researching this problem and wanted to provide a concise answer. See Internet Information Services (IIS) 8.0 events from a Windows Server 2012 Server Core machine are not displayed remotely in Server Manager. Also the missing file WebServer.Events.xml can be found in and copied from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ServerManager\Events on any Windows Server 2012 Full (not Core) system with the IIS role installed. Or in C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft-windows-iis-webserver-events_31bf3856ad364e35_6.2.9200.16384_none_a230ad03b2714c1a on any Windows Server 2012 Full (not Core) system with or without the IIS role installed. Copy WebServer.Events.xml to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\ServerManager\Events on the Core system, and the "Cannot get event data" error will disappear from the remote server manager after a refresh. Jeff.

Jeffry A. Spain Network Administrator Cincinnati Country Day School

• Proposed as answer by WillLongo Sunday, September 22, 2013 5:21 AM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:44 PM
  • Thanks for the tip! it works fine
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:28 AM
  • fantastic. thank you so much this was bugging the heck out of me. I found out that Server 2012 Core does not normally have this file and found an article on how to create it at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2721972/en-us

Once I created the WebServer.Events.xml file the dashboard lit up green.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:10 PM