none
Migrate/Move "Windows 2012 R2 Guest Cluster" From Windows server 2012 R2 Hyper-V to Windows Server 2016 Hyper-V

Question

• Hi everyone, I have just read the guide of how to upgrade a 2012 R2 Hyper-V cluster to 2016 Hyper-V cluster (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/failover-clustering/cluster-operating-system-rolling-upgrade).

In this guide it says:

The following scenario is not supported in Windows Server 2016:

• Cluster OS Rolling Upgrade of guest clusters using virtual hard disk (.vhdx file) as shared storage

But I don't fully understand this statement.

Does it mean that I have to delete the VMs that compose the Guest cluster and create a new one under Windows 2016 Hyper-V?

I suppose it has something to do with the new VHDS disks.

Hopefully someone will be able to shine some light on this topic.

Thanks a lot for your time,

Ivan Mckenzie

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 9:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

>>Does it mean that I have to delete the VMs that compose the Guest cluster and create a new one under Windows 2016 Hyper-V?

This applies to a guest cluster .

When you want to update a guest cluster (2012 R2 vm cluster ) .

If you are going to upgrade physical 2012R2 to 2016 , just ignore this .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Thanks Elton for your reply.

Just to make things clear.

My hosts are Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V and will be upgraded to Windows 2016 Hyper-V following the guide.

I dont' want to upgrade my VMs, just live migrate from 2012 R2 hyper-v host towards 2016 hyper-v host.

My guest cluster VMs (Windows 2012 R2 with shared disks) will also be live migrated towards a 2016 hyper-v host. This last point is my only doubt. But if I understand your reply correctly, this will work.

Can you confirm please I have understood every thing correctly.

Thanks a lot,

Ivan Mckenzie. 

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 10:52 AM
  • Hi Sir,

Yes , you're correct .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, April 23, 2017 10:18 AM