none
desktop folder redirection - files disappearing.

Question

• server 2012 R2 AD, windows 7 clients

i have a group policy that redirects favorites and desktop and documents to

\\server\users\%username%\favorites

\\server\users\%username%\desktop\

\\server\users\%username%\documents\

all three are set to move files to the new location. the favorites and documents seem to be working fine when I apply this policy to an existing user who has previously not had the policy applied. but the desktop behaves this way:

user logs out and logs back in, all folders are redirected, and I can see the files in \\server\users\ as expected.

then the user logs into a citrix server (multiple servers tested) he's never logged into before. the desktop folder is emptied.

again, favorites and documents work fine.

it's like the profile creation is overwriting the redirected desktop folder with the empty contents of the local desktop folder. has anybody seen this before?

Wednesday, June 8, 2016 6:00 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

Thanks for your post.

Did you configure the folder redirection to another location and now redirect them to present location?

If yes, how did you redirect the present location? Did you modify the location in GPO and re-apply?

Based on my experience, you should redirect them to local userprofile location first, then modify the location to where you want after the policy has been applied.

For citrix server, you may need set the ICA session must be closed and restarted to be aware of the new redirected folder.

For more information, you could refer to the similar thread below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/f2ba3581-35c6-4ef2-83d6-ff4b96cc81a3/solved-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1-gpo-folder-redirection-documents-not-processing?forum=winserverGP

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 5:55 AM
  • Desktop and ie favorites were not previously redirected. Documents were previously redirected to a different location. 

Thursday, June 9, 2016 2:18 PM
  • Hi John,

If so, I suggest you check the redirected path of desktop in GPO again. In the settings tab, please uncheck "Grant the user exclusive rights to Desktop". And make sure the path was typed right and could be reached.

In addition, to troubleshoot this issue, please create a new account (if possible add a new computer as well) to apply the policy.

If the problem persists, I suggest you run gpresult and post it to us for further research.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 10, 2016 7:00 AM
  • That box is already unchecked. The path is reachable. 

As I stated, the first time the user logs in after the policy is applied, *everything works fine.* desktop is redirected and local desktop contents are uploaded to the redirected folder.

but when he then logs in to a new machine where he had not previously logged in, the contents of the redirected desktop folder are deleted. The desktop is still redirected. The folder is just empty. 

Friday, June 10, 2016 1:33 PM
  • > but when he then logs in to a new machine where he had not previously
    > logged in, the contents of the redirected desktop folder are deleted.
    > The desktop is still redirected. The folder is just empty.

Do you use roaming profiles? If not, this would explain this odd behavior...

Friday, June 10, 2016 2:42 PM
  • we aren't using roaming profiles. why do favorites and documents work without roaming profiles, but desktop does not?
    Friday, June 10, 2016 4:05 PM
  • > why do favorites and documents work
    > without roaming profiles, but desktop does not?

I don't know - it "should" work, that's why I called it "odd behavior".

Friday, June 10, 2016 4:23 PM