none
Guidance on updating and re-leveling resources RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone!

I have been looking around the web and cannot find a clear answer for the following inquiry.

I manage dynamic software projects in a 10 people team. Expected durations are always changing, so I need to refresh progress and task allocations more than once a day.

What I need to know exactly is what to do to get a tidy update and reallocate resources efficiently. It even happened to me that I level all resources, then level again (without doing anything in between) and I get a different finish date for the last task. Cannot find a reason for this to happen.

What I usually do is: 1) [Refresh],
    then 2) I [update project] by choosing "Reschedule uncompleted work to start after", and set a day after today. This, for the "Entire project".           --(update 21.10)  All tasks are configured to start "As soon as possible". At this point, many of them change to "Start no earlier than".
    3) After that I clear overallocations using [Level All].           --(update 21.10) Now, as many tasks are not set to start "As soon as possible", this leveling will not work ok. So I need to set them back manually.

However, I keep getting strange allocations. Priority does not seem to be taken into account when leveling and I see no reason to trust the dates returned.

Can you help me on this? Am I doing the right thing or something different is supposed to be done for following up this kind of project? Maybe I should trust the dates returned.

I must say it is really difficult to check the results manually since I am dealing with more than 500 tasks.

I know this is not a typical question, but hope you kind people can lend a hand.

Thank you so much.
    Ivo

-----------Update 10/15 16:49

The screenshot I provided yesterday as an answer to Trevor shows several requirements. Some of them are for Android, some for IOS, etc. I have one delivery (a milestone) per platform. The constraint type for it is "As soon as possible". Is it correct that MS Project does not show any IOS tasks with [Critical]=Yes? That means I cannot see the critical path for this platform. 

• Edited by igavuzzo Wednesday, October 21, 2015 3:19 PM update
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 4:14 PM

All replies

• Ivo,

it is very difficult to assist you without seeing the file, or a screenshot, or something other than your description of "strange allocations". Can you put the file in dropbox or otherwise provide it?

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 12:13 AM
  • I understand your point, but I would be infringing the company policies if I attached the file. Find a screenshot below, showing only two of more than forty requirements in the project. Completed tasks are green, blue tasks are in progress and white ones have not started yet.

I do not think there is a particular issue with my document, I am just trying to find out what would the logical steps be in a case like this.

I have all "Android Tablet" requirements set as predecessors for another task which is Delivering the new version.

Thank you,
    Ivo

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 8:09 PM
  • I guess I need to reply to your answer so you get notified about the updates. Thanks for your help.
    Wednesday, October 21, 2015 3:20 PM