none
Cannot access Windows 7 Share - Error 0x80070035 network path not found RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a small LAN with five PC's (two Windows 10 and three Windows 7).  I have assigned all of these PC's to the same Workgroup (which I named "MAIN").  All five PC's are set to Obtain an IP address automatically.  My wireless router assigns each PC with an address in the range 192.168.2.x.  The router itself is at at address 192.168.2.1.  I have created shares on all five PC's by right-clicking on the folder I'd like to share and choosing Properties.  On the Sharing tab, I chose "Advanced Sharing" and clicked the checkbox for "Share this folder".  I assigned it a share name and added Full Control permissions for both the local Administrators group and also for one particular user (who happens to be a member of the local administrators group).  On the Security tab, I also assigned Full Control permissions to the local Administrators group and for the same particular user as on the Sharing tab.  In Control Panel | Network and Sharing Center | Advanced Sharing Settings, for my current profile (which happens to be work), I have Network Discovery ON, File & Printer Sharing ON, Public Folder Sharing OFF, Media Streaming OFF, File Sharing connections set to 128-bit encryption, password protected sharing ON, and I have selected "Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections".  I have used these same settings on all five PC's and my shares work just fine on four out of the five, but I am unable to access one of the Windows 7 PC's (named \\BAK-THINK) through the network.  When I browse the Network folder on any of the other four PC's, \\BAK-THINK does appear in the list of connected PC's, but when I double-click on it, I get a message saying "Windows cannot access \\BAK-THINK.  Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network.  To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose."  If I select "See Details", it shows Error Code 0x80070035 - "The network path was not found".  Clicking the Diagnose button does not solve the problem.  I do have Norton 360 firewall/security suite installed and running on \\BAK-THINK (and also on the other computers), but I have it configured to allow all traffic on the local subnet.  Even if I disable Norton, it still does not solve my problem.  

Interestingly, I AM able to access shares on any of the other four PC's from \\BAK-THINK, so this makes me think that I do have network connectivity, but there is some security setting (unknown to me) that is blocking access from the other PC's.  If anyone has a suggestion as to how I can solve this problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Saturday, February 2, 2019 7:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

The issue can be caused by the SMB server that does not support SMBv2. Refer to the following website to disable SMB2 and check the result.

How to Disable SMB 2.0
    http://www.petri.co.il/how-to-disable-smb-2-on-windows-vista-or-server-2008.htm

Hope it could help.

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 4, 2019 6:18 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. 
    Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eric

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 8:57 AM