none
SBS 2008 Companyweb broken after KB2687442 install

Question

• Last night, I installed several updates on a SBS 2008 server:

KB2724197
    KB2687442 (Security Update to Sharepoint 3.0 SP2)
    KB2731847
    KB2756822
    KB2749655
    KB2756497
    KB2661254
    KB890830

Upon restarting, browsing to http://companyweb resulted in the error:

Cannot connect to the configuration database

I've received this error on other servers before, so I ensured all services were properly running before opening an elevated command prompt and typing:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\BIN\psconfig" -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force

The first 2 of 4 stages succeeded, but then the 3rd failed with the error:

An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException was thrown.  Additional exception information: The upgrade command is invalid or a failure has been encountered.

Now browsing to companyweb throws a 404 error. I've tried restarting the Windows Internal Database service, SP search service, none of which help. I am able to access the Sharepoint Central Admin page. Permissions all seem fine, but I may need help confirming this. Can anybody help?

Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:25 AM

Answers

• I found the following older article that gave instructions to fix the 404 error:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944154/en-us

After applying these instructions, psconfig worked, but then browsing to companyweb just displayed the IIS7 banner, so I checked the site in IIS. It had lost the port 80 binding, so I added it, restarted the IIS and WWW services - voila!

No harm except a wasted morning thanks to another wacky MS update.

• Proposed as answer by Aldo_ Thursday, October 11, 2012 11:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by James XiongModerator Friday, October 12, 2012 9:50 AM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:18 AM

All replies

• I found the following older article that gave instructions to fix the 404 error:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944154/en-us

After applying these instructions, psconfig worked, but then browsing to companyweb just displayed the IIS7 banner, so I checked the site in IIS. It had lost the port 80 binding, so I added it, restarted the IIS and WWW services - voila!

No harm except a wasted morning thanks to another wacky MS update.

• Proposed as answer by Aldo_ Thursday, October 11, 2012 11:47 PM
    • Marked as answer by James XiongModerator Friday, October 12, 2012 9:50 AM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:18 AM
  • On two SBS 2008 servers Exchange stopped working after the latest update.

I presume it's this one that caused it as I presume that it reconfigures IIS which is the front end to Exchange.

We had a similarly wasted morning!

Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:58 AM
  • Yes Exchange stopped on that SBS too, but it was just a matter of starting two services - the Information Store and the System Attendant. I agree - very unproductive morning and very hard to explain a 2.5 hour invoice, if they accept it at all since it was routine maintenance.
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:09 AM
  • It's unbelievable !!!

It seem that nobody in Microsoft test the updates before release !!!

No comment.... :-(

Thursday, October 11, 2012 11:43 PM
  • Same Problem here after Installing:

• KB2749655
    • KB2661254
    • KB2756822
    • KB2724197

How many free DiskSpace do you have on your C:\ drive? Craeze?

What do youn think about uninstalling the previuos Updates and restarting? On WIndows 2003 probably not the best thing...

Regards

Friday, October 12, 2012 8:05 AM
  • Firstly, my problem is on SBS 2008, not Windows 2003.

I had 30GB of free space on C:\. As long as you are backing up your machine before updating, rolling back would be fine. Not sure if it will fix the problem though. 

Friday, October 12, 2012 8:12 AM
  • I also had problem with Exchange server not working after these updates. Rebooting didn't help. I rolled back to the previous nights backup. When do you think we will have a solution. The update was still being offered today when I checked Windows Update.
    Friday, October 12, 2012 11:47 PM
  • I had the same problem.

After following the steps i had the same error as Craeze.

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\BIN\psconfig" -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force

The first 2 of 4 stages succeeded, but then the 3rd failed with the error:

An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException was thrown.  Additional exception information: The upgrade command is invalid or a failure has been encountered

After running it a second time it was working.

For me this is the solution.

Monday, October 15, 2012 8:52 AM
  • You're lucky, Stef - when I ran that command the second time, it failed on the first step. After a little more fiddling I ran it a 3rd time and it failed after the 2nd step. Inconsistency bothers me.
    Monday, October 15, 2012 9:01 AM
  • I have had a similar problem after installing this update. But cant seem to resolve. Ran "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web server extensions\12\BIN\psconfig" -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force2  but get 3 failures. cant connect to server farm may not have correct permissions? dont know where to look now. Any suggestions gratfully recieved

Richard Bentley

Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:54 PM
  • Horizon - are you selecting Run as Administrator when opening cmd?
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:55 PM
  • oh yes

Richard Bentley

Thursday, November 1, 2012 1:43 PM
  • if I run Sharepoint products and technolgy wizard it says not connected to server farm.

If I then choose to disconnect from server farm it warns that you will no longer host the sharepoint central administration web application

not sure whether to continue?

Richard Bentley

Thursday, November 1, 2012 2:16 PM
  • The following worked for me

Used commands here; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944154/en-us

Failed on stage 3

Unrestrited the WSS_Search DB log file size using SQL Studio Express - It was set to 1024MB default

Re-ran the commands

Thanks

Sunday, December 2, 2012 3:51 AM
  • How did you unrestrict the WSS_Search DB log file size, I'm trying to find it in SQL Studio Express now??

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 11:25 PM
  • If anyone is interested I ended up using the steps outlined here and that fixed it

• Proposed as answer by GunnersOffice Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:32 AM
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 12:32 AM
  • @PeterWal - that's the exact solution stated in the accepted answer above.
    Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:10 AM