adding batch machines to collection RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to create a Power shell script that will grab a txt file and add machines to a certain collection but i keep getting the same error cant seem to figure it out, I have enough PS smarts to be really dangerous... 

ERROR: 

Add-CMDeviceCollectionDirectMembershipRule : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'ResourceId' because it is null.
    At line:3 char:88
    + ... ID -ResourceId $PCID
    +                    ~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Add-CMDeviceCol...tMembershipRule], ParameterBindingValidationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.Cmdlets.Collections.Commands.AddDeviceCollectionDirectMembershipRuleCommand

Script : 

CD PS1:
    Set-Location PS1:
    #Get the content of the file and for each line run the CMDLET to add the machine to the collection
    $content = "path of txt file"
    $CollectionID = "BW10????"
    Get-Content $content
    ForEach($m in $content)
     { $PCID = $(Get-CMDevice -Name $m).ResourceId
       Add-CMDeviceCollectionDirectMembershipRule  -CollectionId $CollectionID -ResourceId $PCID
       Write-Host "$m was added to the collection"
    }

thanks for the help 

Dangerous PS user 

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 5:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

actually, I meant for you to run the two commands on the console, without all the other script (and I messed up in the second command, leaving in the variable) ^^

Hm, this sounds like your text-file is buggy. Let's see, how does this work out for you:

#Get the content of the file and for each line run the CMDLET to add the machine to the collection
    $path = "path of txt file"
    $content = Get-Content $path
    ForEach($m in $content)
    {
        Write-Host "Processing: $m"
        if ($m.Length -lt 1)
        {
            Write-Host "Empty entry, skipping"
            continue
        }
        $PCID = (Get-CMDevice -Name $m).ResourceId
        Write-Host "Entry: $m | $PCID"
        try
        {
            Add-CMDeviceCollectionDirectMembershipRule -CollectionId $CollectionID -ResourceId $PCID -ErrorAction Stop
            Write-Host "$m was added to the collection" -ForegroundColor Green
        }
        catch { Write-Host "Failed to add $m to the collection! $_" -ForegroundColor Red }
    }

Now, does this happen for all values, the first, any specific? Is there an empty line in there somewhere?

Cheers,
    Fred

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• Marked as answer by Texanaggie Wednesday, August 3, 2016 5:25 PM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:49 PM

All replies

• One of the items in your text file does not match a named resource in ConfigMgr.

You need to add a check after the Get-CMDevice to validate that it actually returned a device object and thus a ResourceID.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Wednesday, August 3, 2016 5:39 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 6:22 PM
  • Hi,

well, you actually need to store the content of your textfile somewhere, in order for it to do you any good:

ForEach($m in $content)
    {
        try
        {
            Add-CMDeviceCollectionDirectMembershipRule -CollectionId $CollectionID -ResourceId $PCID -ErrorAction Stop
        }
        catch { Write-Host "Failed to add $m to the collection! $_" -ForegroundColor Red }
    }

Cheers,
    Fred

• Proposed as answer by Frank Dong Wednesday, August 3, 2016 5:40 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 7:17 PM
  • Dear Sir,

Make sure all the PCs in the txt files are already known (Discovered) by Configuration Manager. If no, then there will be no ResourceID so that the script will throw out error just like you got.

Best regards

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 5:42 AM
  • Frank, 

What kind of check are you talking about after the Get-cmdevice to validate the data 

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 11:26 AM
  • Thanks for the ideas as a test I removed all the machine names in the TXT file and put in only one machine name that i know is online and working ; same error 

FWN I tried adding your suggestion and still errors out... 

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 11:42 AM
  • Hi,

when you run this command:

(Get-CMDevice -Name "<Name of online computer>").ResourceId

Does it return the id?

If it doesn't, try running this:

Get-CMDevice -Name "<Name of online computer>" | fl *

And post a screenshot of the result.

Cheers,
    Fred

• Edited by FWN Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:45 PM Typo
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:03 PM
  • Fred 

When i run :  

(Get-CMDevice -Name "<Name of online computer>").ResourceId

the above command works eventually it adds it to the correct colleciton without error , I have tried another known online machine and worked 

I removed the online machine and put it in the .txt file and then i got the same error as always ...

Get-CMDevice -Name $m | fl *

error: 

Add-CMDeviceCollectionDirectMembershipRule : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'ResourceId' because it is null.
    At E:\Scripts\Batch add PC.ps1:18 char:89
    + ... ID -ResourceId $PCID
    +                    ~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (:) [Add-CMDeviceCol...tMembershipRule], ParameterBindingValidationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorNullNotAllowed,Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.Cmdlets.Collections.Commands.AddDeviceCollectionDirectMembershipRuleCommand

e:\scripts\amp.txt was added to the collection

• Edited by Texanaggie Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:34 PM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:20 PM
  • Hi,

actually, I meant for you to run the two commands on the console, without all the other script (and I messed up in the second command, leaving in the variable) ^^

Hm, this sounds like your text-file is buggy. Let's see, how does this work out for you:

ForEach($m in $content)
    {
        Write-Host "Processing: $m"
        if ($m.Length -lt 1)
        {
            Write-Host "Empty entry, skipping"
            continue
        }
        Write-Host "Entry: $m | $PCID"
        try
        {
        }
    }

Now, does this happen for all values, the first, any specific? Is there an empty line in there somewhere?

Cheers,
    Fred

• Marked as answer by Texanaggie Wednesday, August 3, 2016 5:25 PM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:49 PM
  •  E:\Scripts\Batch add PC.ps1
    machine name

Processing: e:\scripts\amp.txt
    Entry: e:\scripts\amp.txt | 
    Failed to add e:\scripts\amp.txt to the collection! Cannot bind argument to parameter 'ResourceId' because it is null.

this is  what comes up when i plugged  the above change in to the script. the machine name is the only thing in the txt file no spaces, no extra spaces after the machine name , I have verified the machine is in  Config Manager 

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:18 PM
  • Have you downloaded and installed the latest PoSh cmdlets for ConfigMgr?
    What happens if you run
    Get-CMDevice -Name ExistingComputerName
    then? (You have to replace ExistingComputerName with a real device name for sure)

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:36 PM
  • Hi,

from the logs, it looks like in your text file there is only a path to another file ("e:\scripts\amp.txt").

You'll need to fix the content of the file.

Cheers,
    Fred

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:52 PM
  • yes i have the latest  cmdlets for ConfigMgr. 

when i run the get-CMDevice -name existingComputerName 

it returns the information for that machine name no errors 

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:58 PM
  • However your output proves, that your script does not find a computername in the file, but the name of a file. It's as if you fused part of my fix of your script with the original, broken one.

Can you post the full content of "Batch add PC.ps1" and a screenshot of the console with its output?

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 2:20 PM
  • not sure what you are saying about the Text file .. 

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 2:23 PM
  • The revision that I posted (and which you used) writes more to the console, right?

It writes the individual computers it tries to process and what the ID is, that was found.

Currently, it doesn't write a computername, but instead it is trying to process a filename ("e:\scripts\amp.txt"). This means that either ...

• The content of the file is wrong
      or
    • The script doesn't retrieve the correct information

If the script called is fully (and solely) the snippet I posted, with the path added in, then either the content in the textfile is broken, or the path you added is wrong.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 2:48 PM
  • Wednesday, August 3, 2016 4:02 PM
  • Hi,

and there we have the issue:

You did not copy the part above the loop, which is critically important and the original issue:

You are reading the content of the file and then discard it. Check my last posted snippet and look above the loop - the difference between that and the code you actually use may be small, but it is important.

Cheers,
    Fred

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 4:58 PM
  • really appreciate your time sir , helps when i copied everything ... works  perfect 

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 5:25 PM