Wired AutoConfig Service Constantly Freezes RRS feed

• Question

• My internet connection randomly stops working and I can't seem to prevent this from happening (I use Windows XP Pro, SP3 on a Sony Vaio SZ330P, and installed SP3 a long time ago, although the problem is more recent). I think the problem is caused by the Wired AutoConfig service, which seems to freeze or otherwise stop functioning at these times. When I go into the Services window and attempt to restart the service, this window then seems to freeze as well as it tries to stop Wired AutoConfig. In the main Services window, it lists the status as "Stopping", but even when left for 5-10 minutes, it gets nowhere. Ultimately, the only workaround I have found is to restart my computer and once it has rebooted the service again works well for a time, although it will inevitably stop working. This has been occurring on at least a daily basis for some time now and has become very bothersome and frustrating. Any help resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 4:28 AM

All replies

• I think that is an eventual inevitability, but I'm hoping for something a little less extreme for the time being.

If anyone has ideas for even a temporary fix, please let me know!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 10:07 PM