none
Importing From Excel file will not import assignments correctly where there are more than one assignment per task RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am trying to import an excel file ... see below.   It appears if you select both Tasks and Assignments tables it will not allow you to do this, says file is not in a project recognized format.  So I import Tasks tab first then run the wizard again and import the assignments tab while selecting merge with project option.   This works with one exception:

    If there are more than one assignment per task.  It does not merge in the 2nd assignment, only the first.

    Is there a way to import a task with 2 or more assignments?

    Background

    To figure out what the format for the file needed to be, I started with a MPP file and from project saved as Excel and selected the "Project Template" file.  Now I am trying to import that XLS to see how it works

    ID Active Task Mode Name Duration Start Finish Predecessors Outline Level
    1 Yes Auto Scheduled DS001 3 days June 17, 2014 8:00 AM June 19, 2014 5:00 PM 1
    2 Yes Auto Scheduled MT001 3 days June 17, 2014 8:00 AM June 19, 2014 5:00 PM 2
    3 Yes Auto Scheduled CT001 1 day June 17, 2014 8:00 AM June 17, 2014 5:00 PM 3
    4 Yes Auto Scheduled CT002 2 days June 18, 2014 8:00 AM June 19, 2014 5:00 PM 3 3
    5 Yes Auto Scheduled DS002 1 day June 20, 2014 8:00 AM June 20, 2014 5:00 PM 1
    6 Yes Auto Scheduled MT002 1 day June 20, 2014 8:00 AM June 20, 2014 5:00 PM 2
    7 Yes Auto Scheduled CT003 1 day

    June 20, 2014 8:00 AM

    June 20, 2014 5:00 PM 4

    3

    Task   Name Resource Name % Work Complete Work Units
    CT001 Engineer1 0 8h 100%
    CT002 Engineer2 0 16h 100%
    CT003 Engineer1 0 8h 100%
    CT003 Engineer2 0 8h 100%

    Andrew Payze

    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:12 AM

Answers

  • All,

    I reached out to Microsoft and heard back that it was a bug.  No idea when / if it will be resolved.  Will post here when I find out

    Andrew


    Andrew Payze

    • Marked as answer by Andrew Payze Sunday, July 27, 2014 1:35 PM
    Sunday, July 27, 2014 1:35 PM

All replies

  • Andrew,

    I did a quick test using your example although I didn't include the Predecessor or Outline Level fields to keep things a little simpler. I imported the Excel data into a new Project file with a single import of task and assignment data. It is very important to set up the Excel Workbook correctly. On Sheet 1 I entered the task data (Name, Duration, Start). I did not include the ID or finish date as that is redundant - Project generates its own ID and will calculate the finish date based on the start date and duration. On Sheet 2 I entered the assignment data basically just as you show it except I didn't include the Units.

    The data imported as expected.

    John

    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:10 PM
  • Hi John,

    Thanks for responding and testing it.  I tried making the changes that you did and I could not get it to work for me.  Would you mind sending me your file and see if I can import that/compare it?

    Regards

    Andrew

    apayze@hotmail.com


    Andrew Payze

    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:48 PM
  • Andrew,

    You didn't tell us which version of Project you are using and whether it is updated with the latest service pack. I'm using Project Pro 2010 with SP2 and cumulative update for April 2014.

    There's no special magic in the Excel test file I created so rather then sending it, I'll just show you screen shots of Sheet 1 and Sheet 2 of the Excel Workbook. You can enter those and run the wizard.

     

    John

    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:13 PM
  • John,

    Thanks I can use the screen shots that will work

    I am using Project Pro 2013 SP1.

    Will l let you know how it goes

    Andrew


    Andrew Payze

    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:33 PM
  • I tested your configuration and my configuration on Project 2010 and it worked.  So the question now is ... Has the Excel file format requirements for Project 2013 changed.   Does anyone know?  I might also open a  ticket with Microsoft


    Andrew Payze

    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:55 PM
  • Andrew,

    So apparently you are saying that it works with Project 2010 and Office 2010 but not with Project 2013 and Office 2013. Correct? Unfortunately I do not have Project 2013 or Office 2013 so I can't verify a problem. I'll ask one of the MVPs to take a look. My guess is that it is a bug in Project 2013 but that's just a guess.

    John

    Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:22 AM
  • Hi John,

    Yes it works with Project 2010 not Project 2013.  I was using Offce 2013 to update/create the file. 

    Andrew


    Andrew Payze

    Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:38 AM
  • For what it's worth - I am seeing the same thing.  Project 2013 will not import the first assignment (oddly enough).  I've tried importing just tasks and resources.  Then merging the assignment without success.

    I created a file for testing by exporting first - not using the Template but just creating a map.

    No joy.

    Thursday, June 19, 2014 4:39 PM
    Moderator
  • Julie,

    Thanks for checking in. I was about ready to send you a note on this. Unless you are aware that this issue is being addressed already, please float it up the chain for possible inclusion in an upcoming update.

    John

    Thursday, June 19, 2014 5:12 PM
  • All,

    I reached out to Microsoft and heard back that it was a bug.  No idea when / if it will be resolved.  Will post here when I find out

    Andrew


    Andrew Payze

    • Marked as answer by Andrew Payze Sunday, July 27, 2014 1:35 PM
    Sunday, July 27, 2014 1:35 PM