Access to Path Denied - Post Install Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have this baffling error when trying to launch the post install tasks with WSUS.  Its running Sever 2016.

This is a brand new VM and for some reason thw WsusPool didnt create either.  So I manually did that and now getting the below.

019-09-06 09:47:29  CreateDefaultSubscription failed. Exception: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting' threw an exception. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'Update Services' is denied.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, Object dirSecurityObj, Boolean checkHost)
       at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectoryHelper(String path, Boolean checkHost)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Log.GetUsableLogFileName(String fileName, LogFileLocation& actualLogLocation)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Log.InitializeFromConfig()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Log.InitializeIfNeeded()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting..cctor()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting..ctor()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.SoapExceptionProcessor.DeserializeAndThrow(SoapException soapException)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.GetServerVersion()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.CreateUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer..ctor(Boolean bypassApiRemoting)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Setup.StartServer.StartServer.CreateDefaultSubscription()
    2019-09-06 09:47:29  StartServer encountered errors. Exception=System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting' threw an exception. ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'Update Services' is denied.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectory(String fullPath, String path, Object dirSecurityObj, Boolean checkHost)
       at System.IO.Directory.InternalCreateDirectoryHelper(String path, Boolean checkHost)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Log.GetUsableLogFileName(String fileName, LogFileLocation& actualLogLocation)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Log.InitializeFromConfig()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Log.InitializeIfNeeded()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting..cctor()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting..ctor()
    2019-09-06 09:47:29  Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.CommandException: Failed to start and configure the WSUS service
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)

My root folder is called Update Services and the wsuscontent all have the relevant shares and permissions generated by assuming the same service!! Very strange behaviour.  

https://pastebin.com/embed_js/1MXHJ9WK

Any ideas?

Many Thanks,

Brad

Friday, September 6, 2019 9:14 AM

Answers

• Ahh when I amnually created the App Pool I had to change the idenity it NetworkService and the post installation completed.
    • Marked as answer by Brad Sherwin Friday, September 6, 2019 12:32 PM
    Friday, September 6, 2019 12:32 PM

All replies

• Ahh when I amnually created the App Pool I had to change the idenity it NetworkService and the post installation completed.
    • Marked as answer by Brad Sherwin Friday, September 6, 2019 12:32 PM
    Friday, September 6, 2019 12:32 PM
  • Hi Brad,

Please open Internet Information Services(IIS) Manager from the Server Manager, and check the following settings for the WsusPool.

• Enable 32-Bit ApplicationsPlease make sure the value is False.

Reply back with the results would be happy to help.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 9, 2019 3:13 AM