Sharepoint capabilities RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I am evaluating the capability of Sharepoint. Basically the project if for an insurance sales call centre. The operators need to ask customers a range of questions that I was hoping could be recorded in Sharepoint that they could access. But if the customer says yes or no to a certain question then the next questions need to chnage depending on their answers - is this possible? Thanks (Sharepoint 3.0)
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 11:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Sam,

SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2013 have a "Survey" list that allows you to define branches. The user would be taken down a different branch depending on their yes/no response. I'm not sure if this was available in versions previous to SharePoint 2010.

Please remember to mark your question as answered if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by Sam Pemberton Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:47 PM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:24 PM
  • Hi Eric, so assuming correct Sharepoint version in place..... Example as follows:-

Do you have a dog?

If Yes question appears to say

What is the dog's name?

If No question appears to say

OK do you have any other animals?

So basically the operators are forced to ask only the appropriate questions depending on the customers answers. Obviously all answers given by the customer need to be recorded so reports can be run and other operators/teams can see the answers to all the questions. Is there any example of this that I can view?

Thanks for your help

• Marked as answer by Sam Pemberton Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:46 PM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:33 PM
  • Hi Sam,

I don't believe you can modify the views shown in SharePoint. However, you can export the results into Excel. The exported results in Excel show the user, each question and response. 

I don't believe there are hard limits on the number of branches you can use.  

I recommend trying it out with a few branches to get a feel for how it works. It's not the most elegant solution, but if your looking for something out of the box it may work okay. 

• Marked as answer by Sam Pemberton Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:59 PM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Sam,

SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2013 have a "Survey" list that allows you to define branches. The user would be taken down a different branch depending on their yes/no response. I'm not sure if this was available in versions previous to SharePoint 2010.

• Marked as answer by Sam Pemberton Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:47 PM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:24 PM
  • Hi Eric, so assuming correct Sharepoint version in place..... Example as follows:-

Do you have a dog?

If Yes question appears to say

What is the dog's name?

If No question appears to say

OK do you have any other animals?

So basically the operators are forced to ask only the appropriate questions depending on the customers answers. Obviously all answers given by the customer need to be recorded so reports can be run and other operators/teams can see the answers to all the questions. Is there any example of this that I can view?

Thanks for your help

• Marked as answer by Sam Pemberton Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:46 PM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:33 PM
  • Yes. I'll admit its not pretty, but that functionality is there. I just tested it.Survey demonstrating branching logic

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:56 PM
  • However, the saved responses leave a lot to be desired. I've had several clients revert to something like SurveyMonkey to handle their surveys rather than SharePoint simply because the results are easier to manage outside of SharePoint.

Survey Responses

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:01 PM
  • Hi Eric,

Thats really helpful thanks a lot. My question sets are quite complex ie lots of questions with lots of different 'trees' to follow (yes/no's). Do you know if there is any limit on the number of branches we could use? Any other useful information surrounding this you could provide?

Thanks Sam

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:36 PM
  • Eric,

I'm not planning to use this as a survey solution. I am using it as a call script for operators when on the phone to customers for the opertaors to ask certain questions dependent on how the customer answers. Does the saved views show all the questions and answers? I will mark as answered for you. Thanks

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:44 PM
  • Hi Sam,

I don't believe you can modify the views shown in SharePoint. However, you can export the results into Excel. The exported results in Excel show the user, each question and response. 

I don't believe there are hard limits on the number of branches you can use.  

I recommend trying it out with a few branches to get a feel for how it works. It's not the most elegant solution, but if your looking for something out of the box it may work okay. 

• Marked as answer by Sam Pemberton Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:59 PM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 1:57 PM
  •  

Hi Eric,

More help needed please...!!!

1. Can you point me in the right direction (maybe a step by step guide) to create the survey/branches? Ideally I want to create a similiar view as you have above with the test survey (dog questions) for Senior Management.

2. Is the surveys/branches functionality simply part of Sharepoint or do we need to purchase an 'add on' say?

Thanks in advance, Sam

Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:23 AM
  • Hi Eric,

More help needed please...!!!

1. Can you point me in the right direction (maybe a step by step guide) to create the survey/branches? Ideally I want to create a similiar view as you have above with the test survey (dog questions) for Senior Management.

2. Is the surveys/branches functionality simply part of Sharepoint or do we need to purchase an 'add on' say?

Thanks in advance, Sam

Friday, August 9, 2013 8:43 AM
  • Hi Sam, 

Here are some high level steps. You'll need to know how to create a list and list items.

1. Create a new list using the Survey Template.
    2. Add some questions. Don't worry about the branching logic yet. You need to create all of your questions before you can apply the branching logic. You still want to put them in order as much as possible.
    3. After your questions are created, you edit the question and then at the bottom of the page you can select the branch the answer takes. It is a drop down showing the other questions.
    4. Repeat until you have all of your questions and branches complete.

The Survey list template is part of SharePoint.

Friday, August 9, 2013 12:56 PM