none
Converting Project lookup custom field into single line of text RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Don't know its by design and also never ever tried in 2007 version. Here I am trying to convert already created Project Custom Field Lookup Table type into Single Line of Text in PS 2010.

But its getting failed. Just thought because that option was highlight/activated to convert Lookup table type into Single Line of Text, So we can convert Lookup Table type field into Single Line of Text. But its getting failed.

I have checked ULS logs but didn't get enough error information.

Has anybody ever tried this without failure.

Thanks !!!

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

Friday, May 16, 2014 9:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Sachin

In effort to convert the lookup ECF to text you may loose data associated to project for that ECF so suggested would be not to do that, as an alternate you create new field and copy all the existing project ECF values to the new ECF(text type) and then delete the existing ECF(lookup type)

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com

Friday, May 16, 2014 1:49 PM
  • You're right Sachin! It might be specific to 2013 version because at least with 2007 it was greyed out (and I assume with 2010 too).

Anyway evenif the option is enabled, I'm not surprised that you get an error message since Project Server had almost never managed any case of custom field's parameters modfication.

As Sunil stated, I'd suggest to create a new single line field, copy values (manually or with a script) and delete the old custom field.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Sachin,

When you say "convert", what do you mean? Are you migrating from 2007 to 2010?

As far as I know, it is not possible.

Yiu will have to create a new field.

Hope this helps,

Friday, May 16, 2014 10:52 AM
  • Hi,

It's not about migrating from 2007 to 2010. I just have doubt whether I can convert a Project Server Custom Field of Lookup Table type to Single Line of Text.

Because when I am doing this I am getting error.

Thanks !!!

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

Friday, May 16, 2014 1:27 PM
  • Hi Sachin,

The answer is NO. You cannot convert a lookup custom field into a text custom field.

I don't know how you're trying to do this but from the server settings, when you edit the field, the type and parameters are greyed out, preventing from doing this kind of update.

Hope this helps,

Friday, May 16, 2014 1:35 PM
  • Hi Sachin

In effort to convert the lookup ECF to text you may loose data associated to project for that ECF so suggested would be not to do that, as an alternate you create new field and copy all the existing project ECF values to the new ECF(text type) and then delete the existing ECF(lookup type)

Friday, May 16, 2014 1:49 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

That's where I am confused, as I said in my my query above that option for changing  custom attributes from Lookup Table to  "Single Line of Text" is not greyed out. That's why I thought it's possible. But When I am doing it's getting error out.

Please confirm from below SS

Se

See only "Formula" is greyed out, "Single and Multiple" line of text are enabled.

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:12 PM
  • Hi Sunil,

What you suggested that's exactly going to be my plan... with just minor change that first I'll report out all the projects where I am using this ECF Lookup table then delete this field.

Then will create new with same name and replicate the values so that in reports I don't have to change the Column Attributes, What you say???

Thanks much !!!

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:16 PM
  • You're right Sachin! It might be specific to 2013 version because at least with 2007 it was greyed out (and I assume with 2010 too).

Anyway evenif the option is enabled, I'm not surprised that you get an error message since Project Server had almost never managed any case of custom field's parameters modfication.

As Sunil stated, I'd suggest to create a new single line field, copy values (manually or with a script) and delete the old custom field.

Hope this helps,

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:20 PM
  • It seems ok to me!

Then think to any reports that might use the old CF UID that will change to a new UID. Those reports will need to be updated. Except for reports using ODC file with SQL proc that use the actual CF name.

Hope this helps,

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:22 PM
  • Sounds fine by me, or as an alternate you can rename the new ECF later to the same name,
    in case you want to keep it for reference or roll back until everything is in order 

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:22 PM
  • Yeah Guillaume.. because I have never seen such requirement in 2007 so don't have any idea. Anyways lets stick to Plan B.

Thanks Guillaume and Sunil for your prompt response.

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:25 PM
  • Yep... agreed that's even sound better :)

Thanks much !!!

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:30 PM
  • Till now all of them are SQL reports using CF name only. So creating new won't create any trouble till it has the same name.

Sachin Vashishth MCTS

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:31 PM