How to always enable file sorting headers? explorer annoyances. RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed that headers are only there in detail view (outlined in red below). Is there any way to always show them, registry entry etc?
    Is there a specific reasoning behind that? Why in the world can't users sort thumbnails etc?

Another annoyance: select 15 files to see details like file size in the status bar. Select 16 files and you have to click Show more details... Why?

Loosely related, there's a file selection bug:
    Select a file -> now press shift+ctrl+cursor to select multiple files. But going back with the cursor won't deselect files.
    This worked well in Vista. The bug was in the Win 7beta and still existing in the final release.

I don't understand why the explorer is so poor and powerless. But the first thing above is really important to me.

Friday, October 23, 2009 1:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For your first concern, it seems that it is designed by default. Moreover, to select mutiple files, we usually press ctrl +cursor to select or diselect files and press shift + cursor to select continious mutiple files. There is no need to press shift+ctrl at the same time.

Best Regards
    Dale
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, October 26, 2009 2:16 AM
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 9:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For your first concern, it seems that it is designed by default. Moreover, to select mutiple files, we usually press ctrl +cursor to select or diselect files and press shift + cursor to select continious mutiple files. There is no need to press shift+ctrl at the same time.

Best Regards
    Dale
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, October 26, 2009 2:16 AM
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 9:35 AM
  • I know it's by design. The question is: why can't I have sort headers when in thumbnail or list view? It won't make sense and it adds an inconsistency to the UI.
    I still can right click > sort by, but it's an extra step when working with files.

Another annoyance: clicking on a group of open windows brings up the preview pane, I should go straight to the last window I was working in, no matter if it's a folder, document etc... This renders taskbar grouping useless too me since adds an annoying extra step as well.

I welcome the improvements in 7, some of them are awesome. But it seems that engineers stopped midway between good ideas and putting them together to a usable UI.

But thanks for the correction on multiple file selection.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 5:29 PM
  • Since this feature is by design, I'd like to forward your feedback to our related DEV team for continuously developing products that meet our cutomer needs. Your suggestion will be taken seriously.  Meanwhile, regarding your another annoyance, you can right click the taskbar==>click properties==>select Never combine at the right of Taskbar buttons==>click OK.

Best Regards
    Dale

Monday, October 26, 2009 2:15 AM
  • Well, thanks for taking notice. I already tweaked grouping to my linking of course, but it needs more options - e.g. really get rid of grouping (instances still stick together), or how about text next to the icon (see link below).

Let me just repost what I wrote in another post regarding taskbar grouping. 

* Let me choose if clicking on a group icon brings up the last window I was in; or the preview pane (like it's right now).

* Taskbar grouping needs more options: e.g. I'd like to have text/name of the application next to the icon, just the icon alone won't do it for me. Sure icons get easily recognized, but recognizing letter forms works even better. Text is more  universal, icon colors and shapes are subject to taste etc.
    MS even has a case study on letter recognition, make use of your own research. In fact the typography department is where MS shines the most.
    Monday, October 26, 2009 5:26 PM