Service Manger 2012 Self Service Portal, Where am I in the queue? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a requirement where the customer would like users to have the ability to submit a request via the portal and then be able to go find out where they are in the "queue".

When I say "queue" I mean they would like to know where they are in line to have their request addressed.  If possible they would like to be able to tell approximately how long before the request will be addressed.

Any ideas?

Friday, January 24, 2014 10:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Herb.

The only real way I see of doing this is either via custom workflows and Powershell, SCO or custom development.  And I think there would be a few moving parts and things to consider:

1. Calculation of average resolution time. This would basically indicate how long a user can expect to wait.

2. Prioritization.  How would this be done in your situation?  Simply by order or submission, or would this be driven by actual priority.

3. Displaying the results.  With the SSP, I cant see a sensible way of achieving this.  The only thing I can thing of right now, is that you would write an Incident/Service Request wait time to an external database and and have a custom web page or something which retrieves the data from the DB based on the authenticated user

4. How would you deal with multiple incidents/requests submitted by  the same user.

I'm not sure whether this has been useful, but it's food for through, I guess.

Cheers

Shaun

Friday, January 24, 2014 11:05 PM
  • Thanks Shaun,

I did consider these items and, like you said, there are several moving parts.  the trick is going to be putting it all together. 

I don't really need to develop a solution now but really need to know that I am 100% positive that I can deliver and the level of effort involved.

My guess is at least 40+ hours, if it's even possible.

Saturday, January 25, 2014 6:55 PM