Outlook 2010 Flag Status column can't be moved RRS feed

• Question

• I added Flag Status as a column to my Inbox view (compact view).  When I try to arrange the Flag Status column to be one of the first columns instead of the last column, I am able to move it up the order in the view settings column order dialog box, but when I exit the dialog, Flag Status stays as the last column on the right.    Other columns can be moved and the column order takes effect immediately upon exiting the view settings dialog box.  
    Monday, May 10, 2010 3:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Yup, this has been the case for this column since it was introduced in Outlook 2003 ;-)
    It is indeed not movable.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, August 2, 2010 1:57 AM
    Monday, May 10, 2010 3:43 PM
  • There is a second Flag header, the Follow-up Flag, that you can use that is placeable.  If, in the view you enable the "Quick Flag" (on the "Other Settings" button of the Customize View wizard), the Flag Status column will become unmovable at the right end of the column header.  If you disable that setting, the Flag Status column will be movable.  Now, I'm doing this in Outlook 2003 at the moment because I don't have access to my Outlook 2007 or 2010 systems, but it should work similarly.
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
    Monday, May 10, 2010 4:31 PM
  • There is a second Flag header, the Follow-up Flag, that you can use that is placeable.  If, in the view you enable the "Quick Flag" (on the "Other Settings" button of the Customize View wizard), the Flag Status column will become unmovable at the right end of the column header.  If you disable that setting, the Flag Status column will be movable.  Now, I'm doing this in Outlook 2003 at the moment because I don't have access to my Outlook 2007 or 2010 systems, but it should work similarly.
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

I'm looking in Advanced View Settings: Compact > Other Settings... and not seeing an option to enable or disable "Quick Flag".

I tried the Follow Up Flag, which is indeed moveable, but isn't a pretty little colored flag, and can't be enabled with one-click.  Also doesn't seem to integrate with the Flags panel over on the lower right corner.

Monday, May 10, 2010 5:16 PM
  • Very disappointing they spent so much time and effort on Outlook 2010 and neglected this very obvious and annoying bug.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 6:19 PM
  • @Brian Tillman
    That indeed works in Outlook 2003 but not for Outlook 2007 and 2010. There is a "For Follow Up" column as an alternative but that column is text only. The Flag Status column really is fixed to the right side.

Interestingly enough, the Category column is movable (I'd expected its behavior to be similar to the Flag Status column).

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:12 AM
  • I completely agree - this is an incredibly annoying bug, and there is no reason to call it anything else...why on earth would just this ONE field not be moveable when the rest all are? Makes no sense.  Incredibly helpful/useful feature that winds up being a nuisance because you can't use it. 

If you have a large widescreen monitor, and who doesn't these days, the flag is basically invisible if you have your screen max'ed.  

C'mon Office team!  Fix this already.  Office 2010 is, generally, speaking, a great product.  Make it greater.

Friday, April 8, 2011 3:38 AM
  • A "Follow up" text column is not pretty, but functional. I narrowed to collomn to display only the "F", just to remind me how F-ed up this feature is.
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:48 PM
  • This is gob-smacking unbelievable.  Not only has Outlook gotten less functional, but it doesn't look like any effort is being made to fix what is in all likelihood a trivial coding problem.  *Why* are we regressing?
    Friday, December 16, 2011 8:23 PM
  • I had the same problem.  So, I searched help and found your post.  Instead of flags, I used categories.  You can name the categories and order the column whereever you want.  This might work for you also.
    Monday, January 2, 2012 4:14 PM
  • I took Justwondering's advice and starting playing around with Categories. In outlook 2010, I created a category called F/up (for follow up, not something else). I then set up the Quick Click feature in categories to point to the new F/up category. I moved the categories column over to the far left. Now whenever I want to flag an email for follow up, i simply click once in the categories column on the left and it automatically adds this category. Click again and it turns it off.

• Proposed as answer by dlambley Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:57 PM
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 4:07 PM
  • Thanks for the illustration of how you are using category to replace the 2003's flag status functionality. What is it with Microsoft thinking they know better than the user how they want to use features anyway?

Ketchell

Sunday, August 26, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Thank you all for comments and I too am grateful for the way-round/illustration of "F/up" (oh, how apt!).  I thought I was going mad when I hit this difficulty.  I acquired MS Office Pro 2010 a few months ago, but have only just got around to using Outlook properly (many, many years with OExpress).  Lord knows, it has taken me long enough to digest WORD 2010.  My scalp is sore with the scratching at sooooo many nonsensical "improvements" which make everything take longer to do (so much previous simple customization no longer available - or unbelievably complicated to try to replicate).  Yes, who are the folk at Microsoft who remove really useful facilities?  We poor users spend hours figuring out a way to replicate (if we can) what we liked before or trying to "outwit" the new version; this isn't progress.  My latest bit of grief is that I have chosen the black colour scheme for Outlook, which is ok for me, but I find that it applies the black colour scheme to WORD etc. also - which is not ok!!!  But back to the original subject - the inability to move the flag column DEFIES BELIEF (especially irritating when it actually invites you to do this within the settings dialogue).  Surely the flag column is as important, or more so than, the "Importance" column?  Grrrrrrr............
    • Proposed as answer by DavHeili Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:41 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DavHeili Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:42 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:54 PM
  • As another alternative, You can leave the Flag Status where it is, and then use "Conditional Formatting" to create a rule on the "More Choices" tab where "Only items which: are flagged by me" is selected.  I changed the font to Bold Italic Maroon.  This way the whole message appears highlighted when the flag is set.  And it un-highlights as soon as you uncheck it.  That's my 2 cents worth. 

• Edited by DavHeili Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:50 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:49 PM
  • DavHeili's solution is the best solution for me. I wanted to able to mark messages which need my further attention, but not right now. Flagging is a way to do it, but the little flag in the right most column is not enough for me and would still forget about those messages. Having a really wide monitor does not help on that account either.

My first reaction was to move the column to the most left position which of course failed. That is how I got to this thread. But marking the whole line is a way better visualization.

Kudos DevHeili!

Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:30 PM
  • This worked for me.  Thanks Brian.
    Thursday, September 5, 2013 12:47 AM
  • Thanks Dav Heili, this worked well in Outlook 2013 also.  I am not sure how it looks in 2010, but here are the steps in 2013 ( which is just what is above, but with a little more detail ):

In the main Outlook window, go to the VIEW tab

->View Settings

->Conditional Formatting

-> Add a new rule, I named mine "Flag"

-> The Condition box will become un-grayed, select it

-> Select the More Choices tab

-> Select Only items which :  are flagged by me ( Note: In my setup, the Only items that are: unread  box was checked, so you will need to uncheck that ), then OK

-> Select the Font box and the font changes you want to make, then OK, OK and should be good to go.

Friday, September 5, 2014 6:04 PM
  • ^ That (Ashley CK) is freaking brilliant. And I see you just posted that solution a week ago.....when I first started struggling with this issue.   WOW.  

If you are looking for a way to work around the fact that Outlook 2013 won't let you move the Flag column, and need a way to highlight or make important messages stand out in one click, this is it.  I was a little scared, it seemed too technical for me.  But follow Ashley's CK's steps, and it'll work.

Once you get the view the way you want it (including this new way to flag / highlight a message), you can apply it to all the other folders easily by going to View, Change View, (bottom choice) Apply Current View To Other Folders (then choose [check] all the folders you want (probably all).

Then when you want to 'highlight' (flag) a message as important, just 'select' the message in your mailbox list (your inbox, or whatever), be sure you're on the Home tab, click the little down arrow in the Tags group, and select "Flag Message."  Same way to un-highlight /un-flag the message (except choose Clear Flag).

Really, Ashley CK, thanks for saving my sanity.

Friday, September 12, 2014 12:53 AM
    1. Move "Flag Status" column in Outlook for Office 365
      1. This column can't be moved.  Apparent bug, so instead you can create a category, name if F, and use conditional formatting to set the message font to Bold/Red.  Be sure to do this by renaming the default "Red" category to "F", so that when you click the category column it assigns/removes this default category.  Steps are:
      2. Rename the "Red" category to "F"
        1. Click Home > Tags section > Categorize > All Categories
        2. Rename "Red Category" as "F"
      3. Move the Category column to your desired location (e.g., before the FROM column)
        1. RC the headers above the messages > View Settings > Columns
        2. Select Categories > click "Move Up" button until reach desired location > OK
      4. Format message to Bold/Red when the F category is set
        1. RC the headers above the messages > View Settings > Conditional Formatting
        2. Click "Add" > Name:  F > change Font to Bold/Red
        3. Click "Condiiton" > Advanced tab >
          1. Use the "Fields" drop-down to select "All Post Fields" > Categories
          2. Use the "Condition" drop-down to select "contains"
          3. In the "Value" field, type F
          4. Click "OK", "OK", "OK"
      5. Now when you click the Categories column in the message description, the default value "F" will appear.  When you move away from that line, the message will be formatted Bold/Red.  Clicking again in the Category column will remove the "F" from the category field and return the message to its default font.
    Wednesday, July 20, 2016 4:43 PM
  • I understand the workaround. But not useful, as the need to move the flag is due to the overlap with the delete button at the right.  So when you think you flag an important email, you just delete it !!!!!  This is where is coming the need to move the flag column. Very annoying, and this cause major issues when an action is dropped because you deleted an important email instead of flagging it for follow-up.   I hope one day they will either enable to move it or remove the delete overlap.

Monday, November 14, 2016 6:00 PM
  • I came looking for how to move the flag column to the left in Outlook 2016 -- I find it incredible that a simple user requirement like this was not fixed years ago -- and the View Settings dialog box allows you to change the position of the column, but it has no effect!!!  How misleading and frustrating!

I like the workarounds proposed by DavHeili and GNail and I'm now using the former.  But we should not have to use workarounds because there is a bug in Outlook that has existed for many years and not yet been fixed!

How do I report this to Microsoft and ask why it has not been fixed?

Lindsay Graham, Canberra, Australia

Saturday, November 26, 2016 12:49 PM
  • Thank you !!
    Friday, September 1, 2017 8:00 AM
  • AWESOME!  THANK YOU, ASHLEY, FOR THE STEPbySTEP to ACHIEVE DAV HEILI's SUGGESTION...

HAVE BEEN WANTING TO APPLY LIKE-MINDED VISUAL FOR HIGHLIGHTING ROW IN EXCEL [HAVE YET TO LOCATE A  SATISFYING SOLUTION]

FROM TEXAS - 20171004

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 6:02 PM
  • Over 7 years and still no fix for this most annoying problem.  What is the development team thinking, it will go away?  How difficult can it be to permit this field to be moved by the user, as all other fields.

Com'on Man!

In the hunt

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 6:38 PM
  • Using Catagories as a workaround circumvents the purpose(s) of the follow-up flag. Among other things , the Follow Up Flag places a To Do item in your To Do list and puts a dragable item at the bottom of your calendar to become an active calendar appointment. 
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 11:24 PM
  • Totally Agree! As a work around, I went into View Settings, Conditional Formatting, Add - Named it (I used flagged) then Select Font to change the font appearance so that it stands out in my inbox.  I changed the color (red).  Select Condition - More Choices; check box Only items which:  are flagged by me.

Now, all my flagged messages are RED - woo hoo!

Why does it have to be so hard, MS? Why change things, just to change them? Please stop making changes that you think we want, and allow users to customize for ourselves.

• Proposed as answer by tao71 Thursday, March 1, 2018 8:46 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2018 8:45 PM
  • I agree the accidental deletion is the biggest problem. I get the workarounds, but I use categories for other things and want to use my flags without the fear of the accidental delete. I'd like a column such as "in folder" to be next to the delete. That would protect me much better.

Larch45

Monday, September 24, 2018 12:52 PM
  • This is my favorite workaround. (I have Outlook 2010)

I always ck the Reminder box on all flags anyway. I don't really get the flag thing without the reminder. So if that sits OK with you, then here's the PERFECT work around.

I add the 'Reminder' column which is movable and take OFF the flag column. So now there's a little bell icon on all those that need attention. 

Granted, it doesn't provide the feature of the different colors that the flags provide - red for today, lighter red for tomorrow, lighter for later, plus the check marks for complete, however I, personally, never used that anyway. I just wanted to be able to sort by flags and have 'something' that drew my eyeball to certain emails. Of course, a red flag was nicer (catches my eye more -easier to take notice) but I'll just have to live with the little gold bell. At least when I sort on that column it's on the left. This bell is part and parcel to the entire flag dialogue box and functionality so I don't have to go do other things like Categories. The flagging puts it in my task list along with Contacts I have flagged. 

For me, resorting to Categories is a whole other form of functionality that leaves the entire Task/Appt functionality section of Outlook.

To note - to add the Reminder field you need to go to the drop down menu and instead of Frequently-used Fields and chose either All Appointment Fields or All Task Fields to find it.

• Edited by NNNZZZ Monday, October 1, 2018 4:06 PM
    Monday, October 1, 2018 3:04 PM
  • Good idea.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:26 PM