Slipstreaming Windows xp sp2 with sp3. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have windwos xp sp2 original cd and I have injected sp3 (slipstreamed it with sp3), everything went ok but when I try to use this new sp3 injected cd for installation there is a problem with the product key, its not accepting the original product key.

Mohammed Jeelani Khan Network Administrator Excel Industry Co. L.L.C. Ajman, U.A.E.

• Edited by M J Khan Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:31 AM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:31 AM

Answers

• What I would do is download nlite (just google search nlite, it should be the first link) and use it to slipstream... however, make sure the disk is sp2 and then slipstream in service pack 3... I have slipstreamed this way before. Did you get the VLK directly from Microsoft?
    • Proposed as answer by Allen Howard Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, December 3, 2012 1:17 PM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:59 PM

All replies

• What kind of key is it... can you leave the key blank and get through the rest of the install?  How did you slipstream SP3 into it?
      What OS did you slipstream it on?
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 12:59 PM
  • The key is VLK, I tried by leaving the key blank but the same problem I was getting, for slipstream I followed these procedures.

1. Copied the original Cd contents to a saperate folder on hard drive.

2. Downloaded SP3 from microsoft and extracted it to another folder called sp3 with -x switch/parameter.

3. from the extracted sp3 folder switch to update.exe and then this contents I mixed in Original cd contents by this command c:\sp3\I836\update\update.exe -S:C:\xp.

4. Inserted Original XP sp2 CD in drive and with the help of ISO Buster utility I extracted the .img from cd. then made a bootable cd with nero.

Please if this procedure is wrong then let me know how to do it to achieve this task and one more thing is that is there any problem with slipstreaming, means does microsoft mind if we use our purchased sp2 and slipstreamed it and then use it in our work environment?.

I am glad to hear you.

Thanks alot in advance

Mohammed Jeelani Khan Network Administrator Excel Industry Co. L.L.C. Ajman, U.A.E.

• Edited by M J Khan Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:12 PM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:11 PM
  • What I would do is download nlite (just google search nlite, it should be the first link) and use it to slipstream... however, make sure the disk is sp2 and then slipstream in service pack 3... I have slipstreamed this way before. Did you get the VLK directly from Microsoft?
    • Proposed as answer by Allen Howard Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kevin Remde Monday, December 3, 2012 1:17 PM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:59 PM
  • We already have the VLK, we got it while we purchased xp sp2 original cd. Why are you asking this one?. Please I am just asking.

Thanks and I will use the procedure as you have told me.

Thanks again and I will come back to you soon with the result.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 4:07 AM
  • Thanks Mr. Allen Howard, with nlite I slipstreamed the sp3 onto sp2 and when I install it on vmware as vir-machine its working quite fine.

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 9:23 AM
  • i was asking because a lot of license keys that are VLK were blocked by microsfot... i just wanted to make sure that you got it directly from microsoft and not a third party.  Glad to hear it is working now.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Thank you very much for your kind interest in this topic. I hope you will assist me in other topics as you did in this.

Thanks once again.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 2:33 PM