locked
Removing alert for a workflow task on a site that no longer exists RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have looked at several related threads on this topic, but this one seems a bit unique. A user contacted us asking for help dealing with a recurring email he was getting concerning a task that needs to be performed. The difficulty is that the entire SharePoint site mentioned in the URL has been deleted. There are no document libraries or lists remaining.

    I looked within the site collection recycle bin, but it appears to me that when the site tree was deleted that none of the bits were sent to the bin.

    Are there any actions that can be taken to resolve this sort of problem? I thought there might be a site collection level operation or even a farm level operation in Central Admin, but I see nothing about workflows at those levels.

    Thanks in advance for your help.


    • Edited by lvirden Thursday, March 8, 2012 1:46 PM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 1:45 PM

Answers

  • So, I opened the top level of this site up in SharePoint Designer 2007, attempting to locate a list that might contain an entry causing the recurring emails. I do not see it.

    So the situation is this - this is a MOSS farm. Another workflow that has a similar name but for another site appears to be some sort of out of the box publishing workflow.  I can see its active tasks.

    However, a user here is getting "task overdue" emails from SharePoint that are connected to a site that has been removed.

    Where else might SharePoint have the task information squirrelled away regarding the task?

    • Marked as answer by lvirden Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:27 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:27 AM

All replies

  • Hi lvirden,

    You need to restore that deleted SharePoint site from your database backup, then find that Task list item and complete it, or cancel that workflow instance in-progress which created this task, then that task email notifation should be stoped.

    Thanks


    Daniel Yang

    TechNet Community Support

    Monday, March 12, 2012 9:28 AM
    Moderator
  • Unfortunately, this isn't an option - the site collection had too much activity against it to lose it all by restoring the backup. 
    Monday, March 12, 2012 9:46 AM
  • So, I opened the top level of this site up in SharePoint Designer 2007, attempting to locate a list that might contain an entry causing the recurring emails. I do not see it.

    So the situation is this - this is a MOSS farm. Another workflow that has a similar name but for another site appears to be some sort of out of the box publishing workflow.  I can see its active tasks.

    However, a user here is getting "task overdue" emails from SharePoint that are connected to a site that has been removed.

    Where else might SharePoint have the task information squirrelled away regarding the task?

    • Marked as answer by lvirden Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:27 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:27 AM
  • Well, today I believe I have solved this problem. While reading a variety of forum threads, someone mentioned that, in their case, they had forgotten they had some running workflows on dev that they can to deal with to cause messages to go away.

    In our case, our dev server a) is never used by developers - only by admins to test hot fixes, service packs, etc. , and b) is configured to generate From: lines that say they are from dev.

    Since neither of these were true in this case, then it could not possibly be the solution... except it was.

    Turns out that 6 months ago, a restore of the site collection in question was done to dev so that a subsite's admin could get some pieces that they had accidentally deleted.

    I had forgotten about it until I was searching old emails to see if there were any emails about the site collection. I noticed that the restore was done to a new site collection name. I went to that new site collection, to the site from which the emails were coming, and there was the old task. I deleted the old task, the user got an email saying the task was cancelled. We'll know tonight for certain whether this stopped the problem, but it seems likely.

    It is interesting that though central admin for the dev site says that the From should be SharePoint-dev@mysite.com, the emails we were getting were SharePoint@mysite.com ... looks like the from address must be something stored within the actual workflow itself.

    Anyways, thank you for your consideration.

    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 3:27 PM