none
Win7 Update continues to search for updates, but never completes the process.

Question

• I recently had to rebuild a laptop because the OS became corrupt. (Dell Inspiron 1545, 8MB RAM).  I reformatted the drive, installed Win7 Pro (was running Win7 Home), installed Windows Office 2013 Pro Plus (was running Office 2003 Home), and then reinstalled the client's personal files (that were backed up).  Everything seemed to be going well with with Win7's automatic updates.  Win7 went through its regular cycles of finding updates and rebooting.  

The system just stopped providing updates, so I figured it was done.  This is great! Right?  Wrong.  Before I hand the computer back to my client, I want to make sure it is done finding all the updates.  When I go to Control Panel - System - Windows Update, to manually check for updates, the laptop just sits in "searching for updates" for hours.  I have left it in this mode for over 30 hours one day wondering if it will ever end with either a list of updates not yet loaded or "your system is up to date."  

In searching for solutions I have tried "System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 (KB947821) with no success.

I plan to try the MS FixIt tool, but I am not holding my breath.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might cause the laptop to not complete the process of searching for Windows Updates?  Need your help ASAP.  Thanks!

Donald Michaud

Friday, April 22, 2016 10:49 AM

Answers

All replies