none
Bitlocker Encryption RRS feed

• Question

• I recently bought 1 TB external hard drive. I have already copied around 150 GB of data into it. Now, what's the fastest way to encrypt this drive using Bitlocker in Windows 7

1) Whether I should remove all the data from this drive and then start encrypting empty drive.

2) I should start encrypting as it is i.e. with 150 GB of data copied into it.

Friday, November 9, 2018 6:35 AM

All replies

• Win7 ultimate or enterprise? Win7 pro has no bitlocker.

You should just encrypt it in place, since win7 does not know used-space-only encryption, anyway.

Friday, November 9, 2018 7:33 AM
  • Hi mh_hassan,

Thanks for your posting.

BitLocker is unavailable for Windows 7 Professional and it cannot be downloaded and installed. It is available for Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise editions. For more information, you may refer to the following link.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

The computers without TPMs also can use BitLocker. However, computers without TPMs will not be able to use the system integrity verification that BitLocker can also provide.

You may refer to the following links for more information about BitLocker.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766200(WS.10).aspx#BKMK_NoTPM

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766295(WS.10).aspx

Hope can help you.

Best regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 9, 2018 9:49 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.I'm using Windows 7 ultimate. How much time would it take to encrypt 1 TB hard. (I'm worried that in case it takes much longer and my hard drive gets disconnected somehow, I would lose all my data :( )

• Edited by mh_hassan Friday, November 9, 2018 12:42 PM
    Friday, November 9, 2018 12:40 PM
  • Why are you worried, you have a backup, don't you?

It's hard to estimate how long it takes, but usually, I would say on a fast hdd it will be at least 50MB/s, so let 150 GB take about an hour.

Friday, November 9, 2018 12:52 PM
  • Hi mh_hassan,

Thanks for your replying.

BitLocker encryption proceeds at the rate of about 500 MB per minute in most cases. In your case, 1TB would take 200 minutes.

However, other factors that will affect the duration of Bitlocker encryption include:
    1.The size of the drive
    2.The performance of the drive and the server
    3.The operating system in use
    4.How much data is on the drive (for Windows 2012)

Another point worth noting is that the process will be a lot faster when using Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 onward, providing there isn’t much data already stored on the device.  This is because in Windows Server 2012 R1/R2, BitLocker will only encrypt used disk space. It will not encrypt unused disk space or disk space containing deleted files.
    Hope can help you.

Best regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 12, 2018 1:58 AM
  • Hi mh_hassan,

How things are going there on this issue?
    Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 8:35 AM
  • Hi mh_hassan,

I have not heard from you for a while.

How is everything going?

Please feel free to reply if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Friday, November 16, 2018 8:15 AM