none
Enter at the same time Hour and Daily wage RRS feed

• Question

• Hi friends,

in my project I had some human resources (working on different tasks), and I need to enter for them a standard rate but at the same time a daily rate (Imagine they're working abroad, so I pay their job but also a fixed rate for every day spent abroad ). 
    How enter these two kinds of wages?

The resource, in the same same day, might be employed in more tasks.

I would like to avoid the duplication of the "abroad wage" if the resource is employed in two tasks in the same day.

Thank you!!

• Edited by Nico Min Thursday, October 30, 2014 6:44 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 11:18 AM

All replies

• You have no daily cost in Project, just the hourly rate which calculate the resource assignment cost based on the assignment work.

Creating a generic resource with the daily rate will also create extra work on the assignment thus it is not a good solution. Also the cost per use is not applicable since it is a fixed cost added per assignment.

I'd suggest to use the fixed cost field or a cost calculated field with a formula.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Thursday, October 30, 2014 11:26 AM
  • As an example, I create a task with a resource assign (standard rate to 85$/h). Thus for a 10 days task, the cost will be 6800$ (see task form below). Then you can add a 1500$ fixed cost so your task's cost will be 8300$.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:17 PM
  • Hi Nico,

Another option would be to duplicate the task and have two tasks (one representing the work abroad and the other one 'remote' work. Then when your resources are assigned to these tasks you can use different rate tables (A representing the remote/offsite work and B onsite work).

However, if you have many resources and tasks it will double the amount required to maintain the schedule

Paul

Thursday, October 30, 2014 2:14 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry, I forgot to say that the resource, in the same same day, might be employed in more tasks.

I would like to avoid the duplication of the "aborad wage" if the resource is employed in two resources in the same day.

Thank you!!

Thursday, October 30, 2014 2:57 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry, I forgot to say that the resource, in the same same day, might be employed in more tasks.

I would like to avoid the duplication of the "aborad wage" if the resource is employed in two resources in the same day.

Thank you!!

Thursday, October 30, 2014 2:57 PM
  • Nico,

I have yet another solution. Some months ago another user wanted to know how to make Project calculate cost based on a day rate rather than the default hourly rate. I developed a macro to do that. It puts the day rate cost into the Cost1 field. So....if you use the normal hourly rate to cost out the job and then run the macro, you can combine the two cost totals. Herewith is the macro (it may need some tweaking for your needs):

'This macro calculates cost based on a day rate and puts it into Cost1
    '   part days (e.g. 4h) are treated a full days
    '   It does NOT account for a resource who works one task for 4h and then another
    '   task for 4h. He/She will accrue cost for 2 full days, one on each task
    '   Kosher? No, not in my mind, but that's the ways it's done in some regions
    Sub DayTripper()
    Dim t As Task
    Dim a As Assignment
    Dim r As Resource
    Dim NumDa As Integer
    Dim MPD As Single, PartDa As Single, PR As Single
    Dim RR As String
    Dim aSt As Date
    MPD = ActiveProject.HoursPerDay * 60
    For Each r In ActiveProject.Resources
        RR = r.PayRates(1).StandardRate
        PR = CSng(Mid(RR, 2, InStr(1, RR, "/") - 2))
        For Each a In r.Assignments
            If DateValue(a.Start) <> aSt Then
                NumDa = CInt(a.Work / MPD)
                PartDa = CDec(a.Work / MPD) - NumDa
                If PartDa > 0 Then NumDa = NumDa + 1
                a.Cost1 = NumDa * PR
                aSt = DateValue(a.Start)
            End If
        Next a
        aSt = DateValue("12:00:00 AM")
    Next r
    End Sub

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, October 30, 2014 2:58 PM
  • Thus I'd definitely go for the fixed cost solution. It avoids duplicting the task and allow you assigning this extra cost on the same task and same resource. Maybe it could be tedious since it won't be automatically calculated based on a hourly or daily rate and you'll have to make te calculation on the assignment by yourself, but it seems to be the solution that suits your need.

But I see that John jumped in with a nice VB solution!

Hope this helps,

Thursday, October 30, 2014 3:02 PM
  • The easiest way to do this would be to have a 'Cost' resource named;'per diem', assign this resource at the summary level.  This would allow you to forecast how many Per diem days there will be within any given 'Stage' or 'Phase' of the project.  Then just enter the 'Actual Cost' figures when you know how many days were spent abroad.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Thursday, October 30, 2014 5:56 PM
  • I think you need to simplify things. Work out an hourly rate for overseas work. Given that the resource may work variable hours each day, it would be approximate, but I doubt if it would be too inaccurate.

Then enter this rate as rate B for the resource (double-click resource name in resource sheet and click cost tab).

In the resource usage view, insert the cost rate table column. Set teh table to B for all overseas assignments.

This will give you 90% accuracy for 10% of the work. The other solutions may work slightly more accurately but will involve much more effort on your part!

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, October 31, 2014 11:08 PM