Migrating application files to SPO RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm looking at migrating files to SPO. I understand that there are no longer any restrictions on the file types (exe, mdb) that can be uploaded.

If I have application files that are currently stored on a file share \\share1 that are  created, Read, Written or Deleted, by a application process, then can these files be migrated to SPO and how would the application access the files?

Thanks

Monday, December 17, 2018 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes there is no file restriction in SharePoint online anymore. You can upload any .extension files .

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/types-of-files-that-cannot-be-added-to-a-list-or-library-30be234d-e551-4c2a-8de8-f8546ffbf5b3

When you click on the file there is SharePoint online will prompt you with a message  "if you want to  save this file on your local PC" , because SharePoint doesn't have a service application or we can say SharePoint doesn't have a feature to open/handle these types on files except defined files like word,excel which SP already have service application to handle them

Best Practice : 

Even though there is no restriction on uploading EXE files  to a SharePoint document library,  you Should not be  storing  them in a sharepoint library 
    If you could store them there then you can't actually run them remotely .  They would need to be downloaded and started from your local workstation. 
    MS does do this with things like Word files that start you copy of the Word Exe on your workstation.  But they do that with custom code that is specific to the application.  That code is documented, but the EXE file needs to already be on your workstation for it to work.

Hope this helps!

Monday, December 17, 2018 9:43 PM
  • Hi orange, 

You can refer the below article about bulk upload the files from local path to SharePoint Online:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Bulk-upload-the-files-from-8932fc26#content

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 3:22 AM
  • Hi,

As per my second paragraph, I'd like to expand on a couple of points.

Currently, Applications are stored locally in a file system together with their application data files.  If we decide to move only the application data files to spo, I'm wondering how the below points would be solved.

a. how can the local application reach SPO to perform CRUD operations on its data files (Is the only option a url)?

b. Its likely the  application runs under an account locally, if data files moved to SPO what authentication challenges could arise? (we have 2fa enabled)

c. anything else of a concern

Thanks

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 8:24 AM
  • Could you please let me know if this answer your question.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't forget to “mark the replies as answers if they helped, also set "like" it’s a boost for us to keep blogging J

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated Community forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Kaizala.

Thursday, December 20, 2018 3:00 AM
  • Hi

My question and update has not been answered yet.

Thursday, December 20, 2018 12:00 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry I did see that you updated your post .. (I would suggest to create a new post for additional questions if possible so that the thread readability is easier and people will not get confused by the earlier answers)

a. how can the local application reach SPO to perform CRUD operations on its data files (Is the only option a url)?

There are two ways your applications can communicate to the SharePoint online depends on what kind of application you have. 

1. Complete basic operations SharePoint client object model (CSOM)
    2. SharePoint REST service
    3. Hybrid Business Connectivity Services (BCS) installation

SharePoint introduces a Representational State Transfer (REST) service that is comparable to the existing SharePoint client object models. Now, developers can interact remotely with SharePoint data by using any technology that supports REST web requests. This means that developers can perform Create, Read, Update, and Delete (CRUD) operations from their SharePoint Add-ins, solutions, and client applications, using REST web technologies and standard Open Data Protocol (OData) syntax.

SharePoint REST service architecture

https://www.directionsonmicrosoft.com/research/2014/09/integrating-sharepoint-online-and-premises

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ac1f13f7-4587-4c35-b51b-a03b759b680e/migrating-application-files-to-spo?forum=onlineservicessharepoint

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/sp-add-ins/complete-basic-operations-using-sharepoint-client-library-code

b. Its likely the  application runs under an account locally, if data files moved to SPO what authentication challenges could arise? (we have 2fa enabled)

Your authentication will be seamless as  Integrate Office 365 with your AD  directory services 

Use directory synchronization to keep on-premises and online user account information synchronized

If you want users to be able to log on to Office 365 with their on-premises credentials, you can also configure SSO. With SSO, Office 365 is configured to trust the on-premises environment for user authentication.

With single sign-on, the same account is available in both the on-premises and online environments

Hope this helps...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please don't forget to “mark the replies as answers if they helped, also set "like" it’s a boost for us to keep blogging J

Sunday, December 23, 2018 4:42 AM
  • Hi,

There is no API to access the Shared location on your network from SharePoint Online. Instead of relying on Shared access location from your network/ machine , Please move your files to OneDrive  for Business and sync with SharePoint document library.

Then you create the CSOM or REST API to delete the files from document library.

Murugesa Pandian,

Gear up for some solid action by doing IT

Sunday, December 23, 2018 8:30 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please tell us what do you mean applications and application data files ? Is it a legacy web site ?

Answer to questions is

a. No local application reach SPO to perform CRUD operation unless it uses and implemented modern authentication and registered with Azure with all authorization and authentication in place.

b. Your local account must be correctly migrated and provisioned. again your application either website or Web APIs except these, you cannot run any dll , cmd or exe based application on SPO.

c. please do not change the question once you posted and got replied for it, because It will create the confusion not only who reply to the question but for readers too.

Murugesa Pandian,

Gear up for some solid action by doing IT

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 3:47 AM