Lync Server 2010 Incoming SIP connection port not open RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to configure Lync Server 2010 to accept incoming SIP calls from my PBX (which happens to be CME). After poking around trying to find out why the calls where not coming in I decided to check out the ports open on the server and the standard 5060 sip port is not actually open. Maybe I'm missing something but I could not see any configuration for incoming SIP?

Can anyone point me in the right direction on what to look for / configure?

Dave

Dave
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:27 PM

All replies

• Hello David,

To set up a SIP trunk with your CME, as far as I know you'll have to make a PSTN gateway in the Topology Builder. There you can fill in the IP address of the SIP gateway (the IP address of your CME) and a listening port on which your Lync server has to listen. After this, publish your topology and the trunk should be available in Lync.

Ruud van Strijp

Ruud van Strijp - Network Infrastructure Design in the Netherlands. MCSE: 70-270, 70-284, 70-290, 70-291, 70-294, 70-297. Cisco: CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP.
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 3:13 PM
  • To add to what Ruud said, you will need to specify a PSTN Gateway and configure it's listening port in topology builder, i.e. 10.1.1.1 port 5060 TCP (the port setting unde rthe PSTN is for the remote devices listening port, not your Lync servers) 

Then you must configure your mediation server as well.  The mediation server can be co-located on your Front End server or standalone.  Either way you will configure your mediation server and its listening ports as well.  By default in a co-located Mediation/Front End scenario your Mediation ports will be 5067 (TLS) and 5068 (TCP).  You can change the TCP port to 5060 if you will not be utilizing TCP from anything else inbound to the Front End (like a Cisco CUPS integration).  If you leave the listening ports set to the defaults you will have to configure the CME with a target IP of 5068 (for TCP) not 5060. 

Once you have your mediation server setup you will assosciate the PSTN Gateway with the mediation server and publish the topology.  After the Topology is published you then have to open the Lync Server Control Panel and configure your voice routes to utilize this gateway.

Hope this helps!

-kp

Kevin Peters blog: www.ocsguy.com MVP Communications Server, MCITP: Enterprise Administration | MCTS:OCS | MCSE | MCSA | CCNA
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Ok I am having the same problem with our Lync deployment. First we deployed Lync. Then I hooked an AudioCodes MP114 on it for minimal testing capacity. It actually worked. Now, we need more PSTN lines, so we want to use our trunks with our SIP provider, which are terminated on a Cisco UCM box. I have removed the MP114 from the topology, added the Cisco box in with it's IP, and successfully published the topology. Using the Communicator logs I saw that Communicator was not seeing the SIP port active on the Lync side. Also the Cisco traces state that the connection was refused; port not open.

Running a netstat confirmed the port 5068 was in fact not open. I have checked everything thoroughly and can't find anything wrong. I even setup a separate mediation server to see if that would bump the port into being open. If you get a list of the registrars/servers on the Lync server via a Lync powershell command, it does list the service and the port out beside it.

I have opened a case with Microsoft today about this so I will report out findings here. Should be interesting. Gotta love new products. We always seem to find the one thing that doesn't work for us but does for everyone else, hah!

-Lee

WLR
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:42 AM
  • Hi Lee,

Did you manager to get the medition server listing on TCP port 5060? if so please share it.

Thank You very much.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:43 PM
  • A similar situation.
    Port 5068 is not available outside the server
    on the server using telnet to connect, to the active compounds can see that the port is listening
    changed the port in 5069 - the same thing.
    Any ideas?

Sunday, May 20, 2012 12:57 PM
  • I believe destroying that mediation and rebuilding fixed my problem. It has been a while. Either that or the port only listens when it's supposed to. In any case, destroying and rebuilding Lync roles is relatively painless and fun when virtual. I highly recommend rebuilding the node if you have not already. Also for troubleshooting, I recall building a second mediation server. Try separating your mediation server. Don't forget to run your Deployment wizard and "run" the steps again.

Friday, May 25, 2012 6:56 PM
  • I had the same problem using a Cisco Cube to forward calls to my mediation.  Everything looked great, but doing "telnet <ip address> 5060" wouldn't connect.  So, just for grins, I restarted the mediation service and it worked.  Go figure.

Friday, August 3, 2012 2:46 PM
  • Changes to the topology that relate to the mediation service don't take effect until after you restart the mediation service, so that would be expected.

Rgds Julian
    http://blog.kiwibees.net
    http://lyncdirectory.com

Monday, September 17, 2012 1:18 AM