Windows Server 2016 - WSUS setup hangs at : Connecting to Upstream Server RRS feed

• Question

• Fresh Win srv 2016 install on hyper-v vm.

When installing WSUS the post configuration wizard hangs at : Connecting to Upstream Server.

Nothing gets blocked in firewall and WSUS was working on previous vm. 

Nils S. Solberg

• Moved by Amy Wang_ Monday, November 13, 2017 2:54 AM from Windows Server 2016 General forum
    Friday, November 10, 2017 2:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As this query is related to WSUS, I will move the thread into WSUS forum where you would get more efficient support.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 13, 2017 2:53 AM
  • Fresh Win srv 2016 install on hyper-v vm.

When installing WSUS the post configuration wizard hangs at : Connecting to Upstream Server.

Nothing gets blocked in firewall and WSUS was working on previous vm. 

Nils S. Solberg

If you are patient and leave it for 48 hours, does it finish connecting or throw an error? I say 48 hours to exaggerate the length of time needed, but to demonstrate that sometimes it takes a VERY long time.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Monday, November 13, 2017 4:41 AM
  • I try and wait for about 24 hours, nothing happened. Then I decided to install Win srv 2012 R2. Then I contacted wsus upstream server in 5 minutes.

Here must be a bug in Win srv 2016.

Nils S. Solberg

Monday, November 13, 2017 9:17 AM
  • Hi,

Could you please post the OS version of both up/down stream server for us ? I'd like to test it in my lab .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 6:50 AM
  • Hi Elton

This was when connecting to upstream server (microsoft)

The iso was the latest from VLSC.

SW_DVD9_Win_Svr_STD_Core_and_DataCtr_Core_2016_64Bit_English_-3_MLF_X21-30350

The OS Windows Server 2016 Standard

Best Regards,

Nils Solberg

• Edited by Nilzy Wednesday, November 15, 2017 7:40 AM
    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 7:39 AM
  • I am having the same issue.  I am running a WSUS server as a VM in a Hyper-V clustered array.  OS is Server 2016 Standard off of an ISO of datacenter.  I selected to synchronize the updates with Microsoft Update.  I haven't waited 48 hours, but I will do so and report back.  Kinda new at this.  Thanks for the assistance.

UPDATE:  Everything seemed to work out.  I had tried a number of times to make the server work and now I think the issue was Symantec SEP was enabled.  It's likely that was the culprit but I cannot confirm that.

• Edited by David Gove Thursday, January 18, 2018 1:01 PM
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 6:11 PM