none
Sorting - Permanently Renumber Tasks RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Project 2007 SP1 and the Sort-Permanently Renumber Tasks feature does not seem to work as described.  While the project is open the tasks are renumbered, but after saving and then reopening the renumbering reverts back to the original order.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 4:55 PM

Answers

• Brian,

I don't do much sorting but I can confirm your issue. In my test with a sample file, the saved file did open in sorted format but the task ID were not renumbered (i.e back to the original sequence).

You indicated you have SP1 installed. The latest service pack for Project 2007 is SP3. There are also cumulative updates. I do not know if any of them resolve this issue but it is prudent to have the latest updates. Go to, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587, download and install updates. Ignore the reference to Project Server in the general guidance. The updates apply to all versions of Project.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:59 PM

All replies

• Brian,

I don't do much sorting but I can confirm your issue. In my test with a sample file, the saved file did open in sorted format but the task ID were not renumbered (i.e back to the original sequence).

You indicated you have SP1 installed. The latest service pack for Project 2007 is SP3. There are also cumulative updates. I do not know if any of them resolve this issue but it is prudent to have the latest updates. Go to, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587, download and install updates. Ignore the reference to Project Server in the general guidance. The updates apply to all versions of Project.

Hope this helps.

John

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Hi,

I can only confirm John's advice. I definitely remember one of the updates did solve this problem - sorry don't remember exactly which one, but it is a bug well solved.

Greetings,

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:16 PM