none
Deactivate tasks saved in MS Project 2010 not working in 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi together,

I have a strange problem that maybe someone of you has aldready heard about.

We do work on the Project Server 2010 and save from time to time these files for the customer.

We have several tasks which are deactivated and are not anymore the driver of the schedule (as it should be).

After saving it local and sendig to the customer they open the file with MS Project 2013 and here it looks that the tasks are also deactivated (grey and so on).

But: It is calculated as a normal tasks. How can it be? Is there a problem regarding the options in MS Project?

Best regards

Tobias

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Tobias,

If the customer inserts the column "Active" in the table, what does the field say?  Also, Active/Inactive is a function of Project Professional and will not work in project standard.  What version of the application does the customer have?

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

• Marked as answer by der_toby Monday, March 19, 2018 10:01 AM
    Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:52 AM
  • Tobias,

Due to user demand, it seems Microsoft quietly changed the handling of inactive tasks after version 2010.  In 2013+, a covert FS dependency is inserted between the predecessors and successors of the inactive task at run-time.  If the inactive task possesses other-than-FS links, then the schedule calculated using MS Project 2013 can be noticeably different (i.e. longer) than the same schedule calculated using MS Project 2010.

I stumbled across this change myself some years ago under circumstances similar to yours.  Believing it to be a bug, I convinced the client to roll back to MSP 2010 at that time.  I later came to accept that a) it's not a bug; and b) my attachment to the old (i.e. TRULY-INACTIVE) behavior is shared with only a miniscule portion of MSP users.

Good luck, tom 

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 1:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Tobias,

If the customer inserts the column "Active" in the table, what does the field say?  Also, Active/Inactive is a function of Project Professional and will not work in project standard.  What version of the application does the customer have?

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 9:52 AM
  • Tobias,

Due to user demand, it seems Microsoft quietly changed the handling of inactive tasks after version 2010.  In 2013+, a covert FS dependency is inserted between the predecessors and successors of the inactive task at run-time.  If the inactive task possesses other-than-FS links, then the schedule calculated using MS Project 2013 can be noticeably different (i.e. longer) than the same schedule calculated using MS Project 2010.

I stumbled across this change myself some years ago under circumstances similar to yours.  Believing it to be a bug, I convinced the client to roll back to MSP 2010 at that time.  I later came to accept that a) it's not a bug; and b) my attachment to the old (i.e. TRULY-INACTIVE) behavior is shared with only a miniscule portion of MSP users.

Good luck, tom 

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 1:24 PM
  • Hi guys,

thanks for the fast replys. Booth was very helpful!

Thanks for your support.

Best regards

Tobias

Monday, March 19, 2018 10:01 AM