Management Packs Import Failed on Scom 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to Import Management Packs for SCOM 12 sp1, the packages will download but I receive the error below when they are importing.

Windows Server 2012 Operating System (Discovery) could not be imported.

If any management packs in the Import list are dependent on this management pack, the installation of the dependent management packs will fail.

System.TimeoutException: The requested operation timed out. ---> System.TimeoutException: This request operation sent to net.tcp://opsmgr12.Mydomain:5724/DispatcherService did not receive a reply within the configured timeout (00:29:59.9819827).  The time allotted to this operation may have been a portion of a longer timeout.  This may be because the service is still processing the operation or because the service was unable to send a reply message.  Please consider increasing the operation timeout (by casting the channel/proxy to IContextChannel and setting the OperationTimeout property) and ensure that the service is able to connect to the client.

Server stack trace:

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DuplexChannelBinder.SyncDuplexRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DuplexChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.IDispatcherService.DispatchUnknownMessage(Message message)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.ManagementPackServiceProxy.TryImportManagementPackWithResources(String managementPack, String keyToken, Dictionary`2 resources)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.ExceptionHandlers.HandleChannelExceptions(Exception ex)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.ManagementPackServiceProxy.HandleChannelExceptions(String methodName, Exception ex)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.ManagementPackServiceProxy.TryImportManagementPackWithResources(String managementPack, String keyToken, Dictionary`2 resources)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementPackManagement.TryImportManagementPack(ManagementPack managementPack, IDictionary`2 resources)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ManagementPackManagement.ImportManagementPack(ManagementPack managementPack, IDictionary`2 resources)

at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Mom.Internal.UI.Console.ConsoleJobExceptionHandler.ExecuteJob(IComponent component, EventHandler`1 job, Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)

Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Seems to be an issue with the SCOM server itself.

The server may not have been installed properly, please refer to the following link:

SCOM 2012: A Quick Start Deployment Guide

http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2011/07/26/deploying-opsmgr-2012-a-quick-start-guide.aspx

This incident may be occurring due to a small database size, this is usually the issue when the no response/timeout problem occurs.

• Marked as answer by TWiles66 Friday, June 28, 2013 1:19 PM
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Hi, what happens when importing this MP manually? and Yes check DB size
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 2:27 PM
  • The installation consist of 2 servers:

OpsMgr- all roles installed as well as SSRS pointing to SQL server

SQL- All databases for OpsMgr

OpsMgr data bases are set to 1,000 MB with 100 MB auto growth, 500 MB logs with 100 MB auto growth.

I have also found that I can install one package at a time and it will work, but when installing multiples the first package will install and the remaining fail.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:04 PM
  • The installation consist of 2 servers:

OpsMgr- all roles installed as well as SSRS pointing to SQL server

SQL- All databases for OpsMgr

OpsMgr data bases are set to 1,000 MB with 100 MB auto growth, 500 MB logs with 100 MB auto growth.

I have also found that I can install one package at a time and it will work, but when installing multiples the first package will install and the remaining fail.

Thanks.

The database sizes are too small. Not sure if it's the cause of the issue but it may be something worth looking into. Here's a little snippet of information found within the link I posted earlier in the thread.

"

• When we installed each database, we used the default of 1GB (1000MB). This is not a good setting for steady state as our databases will need to grow larger than that very soon.  We need to pre-grow these to allow for enough free space for maintenance operations, and to keep from having lots of auto-growth activities which impact performance during normal operations.
    •  A good rule of thumb for most deployments of OpsMgr is to set the OpsDB to 30GB for the data file and 15GB for the transaction log file. This can be smaller for POC’s but generally you never want to have an OpsDB set less than 10GB/5GB.  Setting the transaction log to 50% of the DB size for the OpsDB is a good rule of thumb.
    • For the Warehouse – you will need to plan for the space you expect to need using the sizing tools available and pre-size this from time to time so that lots of autogrowths do not occur. "

In regards to your comment regarding the installation of the package failing when selecting the whole pack, have you tried simply trying to install two at a time instead of the whole pack to see if that works?

• Edited by Rob Pretorius Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:18 PM Formatting
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:17 PM
  • Hi, what happens when importing this MP manually? and Yes check DB size

I have the same results when manually adding management packs, the first one will install the the remaining will fail

I have increased the size of the DB to 5 GB and the log to 2GB

Thursday, June 27, 2013 6:15 PM
  • After reloading SCOM the issue no longer exist.

Thanks!

Friday, June 28, 2013 1:20 PM
  • Hi!

I have the same problem.

I also increased the size of the DB to 5 GB and the log to 2GB, but the problem persist. 

Thanks

Regards!

Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:49 AM