Opening virtualized app (Office 2007) on certain situation only RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm just getting started with App-V and hopefully this is the right forum for my question. I'm still in the process of preparing App-V 5.0 in a lab environment and testing things out. But based on what I've read/learned so far, I'm not sure how to approach one particular scenario that I need to deal with.

We have an internal web application. The website gives the users links to various Word template files. Users click on those links and Word 2007 opens up with appropriate information pre-filled in some fields based on what info the user was working with on the site. This is the current scenario.

We're trying to move to Windows 7 + Office 2010. The problem is, the above experience doesn't quite work with Office 2010. Office 2007 seems to be a requirement at this time.

I'm thinking of virtualizing Office 2007 that can be deployed to the client workstation, if they need it, while Office 2010 will already be installed locally on all client machines.

The part I'm not sure how to handle is "how do I launch virtualized Office 2007 when users are working on that particular website thought IE but for everything else, Office 2010 will be the default."

Any suggestions on how to tackle this?

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/

Friday, February 8, 2013 3:03 AM

Answers

• It will depend on how the link calls Office. If it uses basic file type associations, then you could create the Office 2007 package in such a way that it only handles specific file types (remove all other file types whilst editing the package in the Sequencer). Under Windows only one program can be the default file type handler, so either Office 2007 is the default or Office 2010 is the default for a specific file type.

Deploying the Office 2007 package will then become the default handler for the file types that you specify. Office 2007 will then always launch however files of that type are opened. You won't be able to make Office 2007 the default only when opened in IE from a specific web site. This is a limitation of Windows that App-V can't work around.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Friday, February 8, 2013 7:58 AM

All replies

• It will depend on how the link calls Office. If it uses basic file type associations, then you could create the Office 2007 package in such a way that it only handles specific file types (remove all other file types whilst editing the package in the Sequencer). Under Windows only one program can be the default file type handler, so either Office 2007 is the default or Office 2010 is the default for a specific file type.

Deploying the Office 2007 package will then become the default handler for the file types that you specify. Office 2007 will then always launch however files of that type are opened. You won't be able to make Office 2007 the default only when opened in IE from a specific web site. This is a limitation of Windows that App-V can't work around.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Friday, February 8, 2013 7:58 AM
  • Thanks Aaron.

You won't be able to make Office 2007 the default only when opened in IE from a specific web site. This is a limitation of Windows that App-V can't work around.

That's what I thought too. Being new to App-V, thought I'll double check.

I'll double check the file type association approach. That might not work for every situation or for everyone, but If I remember correctly, this particular site is using template of Office 2003 format that includes macros. So, this might be good approach since the file types are different between Office 2003 and 2010. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks again.

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/

Friday, February 8, 2013 12:53 PM