none
Best practice for dealing with a resource's historical data when, for example, they change department... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can anyone point me to the best practice for dealing with resources that move, for example, from one department to another as it relates to keeping its historical data?

For example, one resource works in department ABC for 6 months and then moves to department XYZ.  How do we report on the data for that resource while he was in department ABC?

A way we previously did this in Project Server 2007 was to deactivate the previous resource and renaming its windows account. Then we created a new resource in department XYZ.

Any best practices would be appreciated...

Jef

Jean-François Guertin Entreprise Solution Architect PrimeTime Consulting | 1-581-997-4911 | www.consultprimetime.com | jefg@consultprimetime.com Certifications Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010 Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 and 2010 Windows SharePoint Services 3.0

Thursday, October 4, 2012 1:51 PM

All replies

• I would rather take a snapshot of the data at a point in time, though I realise with many resource changes this might not be sustainable.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Thursday, October 4, 2012 2:49 PM
  • This is an option though I also agree it might not be sustainable. 

In Project Server 2010, when unchecking the "Resource can logon to Project Server" checkbox for a resource, it doesn't remove the windows account associated to the account. It is then impossible to create a new resource with the same windows account.

I heard that one of the PS 2010 Cumulative Update introduced a fix to prevent that... does anyone know there is a possible to workaround for that behavior so I can create a new resource with same windows account?  That would allow me to keep the historical data for that user...

Otherwise, any other ways come to mind?

Thanks,

J-F

Jean-François Guertin Entreprise Solution Architect PrimeTime Consulting | 1-581-997-4911 | www.consultprimetime.com | jefg@consultprimetime.com Certifications Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010 Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 and 2010 Windows SharePoint Services 3.0

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:50 PM