Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• What if, after I've tried Windows 7 and don't like it, I want to go back to Vista. Will any of my programs that I have installed on my computer be lost?
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 4:23 PM

Answers

• That would depend on how you do the install. 

If you start the install from within Vista and run it as an upgrade then your existing Vista files will end up in a folder named Windows.old. If you then decide you don't like Win7 it will be difficult to revert back to your original installation.  I have read on here recently that there is a way this can be done. Another option prior to doing an in-place upgrade to your existing Vista is to do a complete image backup of your Vista drive using a progaram such as Acronis True Image or other similar software. This type of backup will allow you to completely restore your drive to the way it was prior to installing Win7.

However, in my opinion a better way to try out Win7 is to do a clean install by starting the install from boot (not from within your existing Vista) and choose custom install. This will allow you to install it on a separate drive or partition without affecting your existing Vista. You will end up with a dual boot setup which will give the choice of which OS to start up when you boot your computer. If after trying Win7 you don't like it, it can be uninstalled simply by formatting the drive and editing msconfig (from within Vista) and deleting the Win7 reference in the 'boot' tab.

Regardless, before installing it read everything on the MS download site before proceeding.

Of course, before doing any of this, you should ensure that your existing data and other important files are backed up to a safe location so that they can be recovered if necessary.
    • Marked as answer by Shruti Mishra Friday, August 7, 2009 4:55 PM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 4:54 PM
  • Hi Double Dee1,

I also agree with OldHobo, you have two options for this:-

1.       Is you install Windows 7 from Vista run it as an upgrade then your existing Vista files will end up in a folder named Windows.old.

2.       Do a clean install by starting the install from boot (not from within your existing Vista) and choose custom install. This will allow you to install it on a separate drive or partition without affecting your existing Vista.

Please take back-up of your data before you proceed with any of the two options.

Thanks,

Shruti

• Marked as answer by Shruti Mishra Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:40 PM
    Friday, August 7, 2009 4:54 PM

All replies

• That would depend on how you do the install. 

If you start the install from within Vista and run it as an upgrade then your existing Vista files will end up in a folder named Windows.old. If you then decide you don't like Win7 it will be difficult to revert back to your original installation.  I have read on here recently that there is a way this can be done. Another option prior to doing an in-place upgrade to your existing Vista is to do a complete image backup of your Vista drive using a progaram such as Acronis True Image or other similar software. This type of backup will allow you to completely restore your drive to the way it was prior to installing Win7.

However, in my opinion a better way to try out Win7 is to do a clean install by starting the install from boot (not from within your existing Vista) and choose custom install. This will allow you to install it on a separate drive or partition without affecting your existing Vista. You will end up with a dual boot setup which will give the choice of which OS to start up when you boot your computer. If after trying Win7 you don't like it, it can be uninstalled simply by formatting the drive and editing msconfig (from within Vista) and deleting the Win7 reference in the 'boot' tab.

Regardless, before installing it read everything on the MS download site before proceeding.

Of course, before doing any of this, you should ensure that your existing data and other important files are backed up to a safe location so that they can be recovered if necessary.
    • Marked as answer by Shruti Mishra Friday, August 7, 2009 4:55 PM
    Wednesday, August 5, 2009 4:54 PM
  • Hi Double Dee1,

I also agree with OldHobo, you have two options for this:-

1.       Is you install Windows 7 from Vista run it as an upgrade then your existing Vista files will end up in a folder named Windows.old.

2.       Do a clean install by starting the install from boot (not from within your existing Vista) and choose custom install. This will allow you to install it on a separate drive or partition without affecting your existing Vista.

Please take back-up of your data before you proceed with any of the two options.

Thanks,

Shruti

• Marked as answer by Shruti Mishra Thursday, August 27, 2009 6:40 PM
    Friday, August 7, 2009 4:54 PM